reg under chin, mask NMOFH disagree :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a REC diver, wandering in here for a little help...

I'm using a bungeed backup reg (which I love!), and it just seems so much more natural and easier to deploy if needed.

But, sometimes I push my mask down around my neck for the fun surf entries/exits here in SoCal, and it's getting a little crowded just below my chin.

I just wear my mask most of the time, but there are just some times when I need the peripheral vision to doge the surfers and boogie boarders :)

So, am I doing something wrong? Bungee too short (reg rides comfortably just below my chin), stuff mask in pocket (inconvenient), or just learn that this is just the way it is?

Thanks for the advice.

I spin my mask around so the side with lenses is on the back of my head and the strap is over my forehead. Problem solved.

:)

I agree with the other answers...

By the way, good job on discovering a superior way of placing your octo! :)

2 solutions - mask on back of head or mask on forehead. Both would solve the issue.

If you are afraid your mask will be pulled off by a wave when placed on your forehead or back, try pulling it down around your neck and to one side.

If you fall in the water you still have access to your reg.

if you think your mask will fall off, keep it on your face. conditions are trying to tell you something important in that case and you should listen. make sure you know where both your regulators are as well.

if conditions are fine, i put the mask on my forehead. haven't lost one yet.

(and i would actually claim that mask-around-neck is explicitly *not* DIR since it obstructs the bungee regulator which is implicitly prioritizing sight over gas, which is clearly backwards).

Mask on forehead is a sign of distress in the recreational community and it is more likely to get knocked off. Put the strap on your forehead and mask on back of your head or leave it on. Lamont nailed it with respect to when to keep it on. About the only time my mask isn't on is standing in a cenote or waiting for a boat pickup in really calm water.

long_neck.JPG

Next!

I am in agreement with Lamont. leave it on if there is a risk of losing it or put it up on the forhead where it can be replaced quickly with one hand. Wearing it on the back of the head looks cool, but potentially places it in position to get beaten against the valves and manifold and when all is said and done it is not much more secure than having it on your forehead.

And yes, traditionally the MOF is a sign of distress, but when is the last time you saw one there and actually considered it a sign of real life distress? If the mask is on forehead you will be looking for other signs of distress given it's utter unreliability as a distress signal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom