Reg Swivel Tech Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After you pay your taxes, but before you die, do as BabyDuck says and simplify your life. These are simpler, less failure prone, and more affordable than the articulating swivel.
Swivels and Elbows | Dive Gear Express®

I've been using those in the 70 degree version. They help a little. The proper hose length when using one is slightly shorter than without, yes. I believe they reduce the effort required to hold the regulator, somewhat. I'm not sure it's a big benefit, and I may not keep them.

Proper sized hose is what you need, not a trinket.

Like PfcAj said you need the right size hose. I had to go to a 24" hose for my bungee backup. The 22" was just to short for my large neck.

By the way you should switch to your bungee backup from time to time during the dive just to make sure it is working. I have read where some divers switch to their backup during ascents.

Switching to your backup during an ascent means you can't donate the long hose from your mouth. Bad idea.

Switching to your backup during an ascent means you can't donate the long hose from your mouth. Bad idea.

I don't think there's anything wrong with occasionally switching to your back up; it's good practice and if by some bizarre coincidence you have an emergency air share at that moment, your primary is right there on your chest D ring. I agree it's not a good idea to spend large portions of a dive breathing off the back up, it defeats part of the purpose of the long hose.

Regarding the swivel, I would not use one or an elbow, just get the right hose length. For me that's 22" for single tank, 24" for doubles where the alternate is coming off the left post. But, I'm not a large person and I dive with the tank fairly high and close to my head. Lots of divers would feel better with a 24" hose on the alternate for single tanks.

Sure, pop it in your mouth if you feel the need but then go back to the long hose.

Let's be real. The backup reg isn't going to magically stop working mid-dive unless you do something like belly crawl through a bunch of dirt.

Just to update you guys I've since removed the swivel and haven't had any problems. The "too short" feeling was only felt when I was messing with it on the surface. Once I'm trimmed out underwater and everything's buoyant it feels fine.

I always take breaths from both regs while setting up my equipment to make sure they're working properly. When I get in the water, I'll "snorkel" on the surface with my backup reg while everyone else is getting ready to descend. This ensures me that it's still functioning fine and gets me acclimated to breathing underwater.

I'm sure it can't hurt to take a sip of air from your backup every now and then, but personally there's just already so many other equipment related things I'm focused on monitoring during a dive.

Perhaps this has been mentioned, but I'd go with a Miflex/Miflex-type hose. They're quite flexable & should solve your problem w/o adding a "failure point." There are two (7' & 22" I think) for sale on this site.

I disagree about the braided hoses. There are some troubling reports about the plastic interiors of them disintegrating and blocking the air path. Properly sized standard hoses work great and have for decades.

Regarding the switching to the back up, to me it has nothing to do with confirming that the regulator is still working. It's just practice of a skill, which of course is useful to have regularly done if an actual emergency comes by.

I've heard that too, but just about every brand/type of gear has had some problem. For example, I'm not going not eschew a 2nd stage just because Apeks had problems with a couple of theirs. "Regular" hoses have had problems, too.

My point (if I easn't clear) was that a problem/defect will/has happened to every brand & type (regs, bcs, hoses...) of gear available. I would avoid the SPECIFIC lot with problems but not the brand, type etc. of gear.
I believe the braided hoses in wuestion here are specific Trident brand.
http://www.tridentdive.com/ahoserecall.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom