Reg setup... 2nd stage + octo or 2x 2nd stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys! So as you might know, I'm in the market for some regs (as well as other things) and I'm wondering what you guys think is best...

1st stage + 2nd stage + octo?

Or

1st stage + 2x 2nd stage?

Thanks!

I want gills! Hehe

Maybe you just need to understand the terminology a little. Having an extra second stage connected to the first stage is the very definition of an octopus. So there is no difference in your initial question. Some people use a lower quality, cheaper second stage for their octo, or maybe one with a yellow cover or yellow hose. But it is still a first stage with 2 second stages on it.

I happen to feel that an octo should be at least as good quality and breathe at least as well as the primary second stage. In an emergency, the last thing you want to give someone (or use yourself) is a reg that breathes like crap. That's just my personal opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

I'll email you on the other stuff.

I understand that. It's just when I am looking around for regs, I've found that sometimes (believe it or not) 2 black second stages (what I mean by 2nd stage in the post) are cheaper than a black and a yellow 2nd stage (octo).

I've gone about and read about it also on other forums and liked to know locals views also.

As for prices, I geeked out fully and went on the cheapest online dive store and compared a few things in an excel! Lol and that's where I realized that buying 2 black second stages is sometimes cheaper! Even though I've read over and over that the yellow ones (usually referred to as octopus in the dive stores) are supposed to be a 'watered down' version of the black ones...

And I totally agree with you Kwinter... We are gambling with our lives down there and should always aim for the best quality :)

I want gills! Hehe

So @tbone1004 if I understand you correctly, you'd go for a matching pair of 2nd stages (black) over a 2nd stage (black) + 2nd stage (yellow)? Right?

I want gills! Hehe

The second stages should be the same make and model. Color doesn't matter. Some models you can change the color of the cover if you want. The yellow color of the cover and hose is only to draw an ooa diver to the regulator that you want them to use. If it is a few dollars more for a yellow version of the same reg than you have to decide what your (or your buddy's ) life is worth.

Same primary and secondary mean that they breathe the same and maintenance is the same. You should also make a habit of breathing from the secondary from time to time so that you know that it works when you really need it. Safety stop is a good time to use it.

All of my regs and hoses are black - with a little red in there too. Only yellow I have is some of my tanks.

@KDAD thanks! The Apeks XTX or any for that matter always come with either the same xtx## or one lower. I was able to go on the Apeks website and compare ATX40 with XTX40 and they were almost exactly the same in all the features!

The interiors aren't the same for the primary and backup second stages. According to the website, XTX40 is overbalanced and XTX40 octo is pneumatically balanced. And from what I understand, over balanced hold better in deeper dives.

Or do I have it all wrong?

The XTX is the newer iteration of the second stage, but still uses the same service kit. TX -> ATX -> XTX. The XTX will have a changeable exhaust T, but they are essentially the same. The first stages didn't change much over time.

The FIRST stage is overbalanced. As you state, it provides improved performance on deeper dives. All of the second stages are pneumatically balanced.

I like my second second stage to be low profile so that it is out of the way when messing with cameras, lights, etc.

Some of us don't use an octopus :D

Back
Top Bottom