Reg servicing for old models (Delta 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bafinky

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my regulators (all Oceanic, Delta 2 balanced 2nd stage, Slimline Octopus, unfortunately, I can't remember the first stage model) sometime in back 2000. I've been using and maintaining it until 2004, when I had to "retire" from diving due to illness. Now I'm back in the water, and I wanted my regs overhauled. I found out
from my local dealer that now, there's only one store that services Oceanic for all of Metro Manila (Philippines). When I called that new servicing dealer, they told me that the Delta 2 is too old, they only can only guarantee servicing the new ones such as the Alpha 8 and Delta 4. They said they can't guarantee that they have the required parts and they will have to see which of the Alpha 8/Delta 4 parts they can use for my reg and that they're *guessing* that probably the Alpha 8 since it's a piston-type reg.

Hearing this kind of reply from their head technician leaves me some doubts as to their qualification, as well as their technical know-how. Have they been trained by Oceanic? Do they receive regular updates? Shouldn't they know which parts are applicable to which models? Shouldn't they continue to know how to service older models? (After all, my regs aren't as old as Jacque Cousteau's...) How come they got the "exclusive" rights to servicing Oceanic gear if this is how they are? Do we get a say?

Argh!
Pinky

PS - What adds to my frustration is that I have a dive trip to an island in the Philippines at the end of the month to see some thresher sharks and mantas! I'd prefer to have my ol' reliable, than some rental.

There is no reason they could not service a Delta 2,it's still in the manual,parts are still there.
Even if they have not seen an actual Delta 2,they did work on the Alpha 8 and there is not
much difference,except for a small screw on the side of the purge cover.
My guess would be they try to sell you a new reg.

I had my Delta serviced in June without any problems. I think it may be a Delta (Origional) or Delta 2. I'm not sure which one it is for sure. I guess I don't know if there is a visible difference (Perhaps someone can help me distinguish the difference).

I bought it in 1995 or 1996 and it still working GREAT!.

Back
Top Bottom