Reg questions (Should I exchange, Should I keep?) New diver needs advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartenos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All!

About 10 years ago, I went to get certified and got sick before my dives. I just went through again and passed all the confined tests\exams and have OW followed by AOW\Nitrox\Rescue after that. (I have some prior experience with some stuff from the Navy and buddies there)

I picked up all of my own gear, as I know I will dive more with it than without. I picked up some stuff at Leisurepro (I have seen some bad posts about them here? where do you all pickup gear? They are much cheaper than my LDS on some items!) and some at my LDS.

One of the items I picked up from LP was my regulator. I picked up a CRESSI MC9-SC with Balanced Ellipse (non adjustable). I was talking with the owner of my LDS who I have been taking classes through, and he really dislikes the Cressi brand. He said they used to have several distributor issues and quality issues which is why he stopped carrying them. He carries Sherwood and Hollis (mainly) in store (I believe he can order other regs as well). He recommended "almost anything but Cressi". I have been looking at reviews online and several other websites and need some advice. I will likely be doing an exchange through LP if possible, unless I find an amazing used deal (leary of this as it is my lifeline.....)

I want to be able to dive cold water, which eliminates regs like the SR1 (I have read that it has had many free flow issues in cold water at depth). I have been considering a few. The Sherwood Blizzard or Maximus, ScubaPro MK25/S600 (Although I think I read that the mk14 is better for cold water?), Hollis DC2 212. What do all of you think about these? Would you reccomend a different reg than what I listed? Why?

I am from Michigan so that is my normal environment. I will also be diving warm water during the summer or traveling.

THANKS For any and all input!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, there's nothing wrong with LeisurePro products. People criticize it because it's not an authorized dealer of some products (i.e., it buys them from a grey market, so costs may be cheaper), so the manufacturer warranty might not be valid for some products; however, they have their own warranty that is just as good as a manufacturer warranty for those products. The products they sell are as reliable and safe as any other online dealer.

As for your reg set, from what I've read, it's generally a good reg, even for cold water (here's an example http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cressi/313718-cressi-mc9-sc-ellipse-regulator.html). You should make sure there's a local dealer that can perform yearly check-ups on it.

Sounds like your LDS wants you to buy from him.

I don't know anything about Cressi regulators, but the MK25/S600 combination doesn't have a good rep for very cold water diving. I've never had a problem with mine, down to water in the mid 40's, but if you look, I think you can find some nice essays by DA Aquamaster about why the design isn't optimal for very cold water.

Anytime a shop says anything but "xxxxx" brand be very wary of anything they tell you. Best bet is never walk in there again. There are some brands I won't buy. Not because they are unsafe or junk. They are not. I simply don't like the way they do business, treat dealers, and are overpriced in my opinion. This guy is trying to sell you something. Cressi is an old established player and does no make junk. It may not be big in some areas and finding service may involve ups or usps but I'd do that before walking back in the doors of that shop.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk t2

First off,

Thank you all for your responses so far!

Some additional information and questions.........

I told the LDS that I was exchanging it through LP, so that I wasn't buying it through them. He said that was fine and was then telling me about the regs. I am already spending money on classes through them, and they usually strike me as good people.

All of that aside..... I bought it on the recommendation of LP. I am good with LP, I never have had an issue, besides finding it VERY weird that they send their gear in Andorama photo boxes.... What are some other places you might recommend? They just always seem much cheaper than the LDS on most items..

What are some of your favorite regs, for cold water? I am not saying I will be doing a ton of ice diving, but I DO have the capability to, living where I do. I looked at a few local dive shops, on the web at least, and none of them list Cressi as something they carry. I WOULD rather have something that I can have serviced at a local place. I had not considered that as much when I bought the Cressi, and since I CAN exchange it, am considering doing so for that reason.

If I was to exchange it, what reg would you recommend? I have no "affinity" to any brand. I do have a sherwood BC, and want to get something that will work best for me. Do you reccommend one reg for warm\cold water and one for COLD water? Or can I have the best of both worlds in something like the Sherwood Blizzard, Aqualung, or something else?

I use HOG's for all my coldwater diving. Down to under the ice as seen in my avatar. I also sell em, let's just get that out there in the open. But even before becoming a dealer I started using them for ice diving and never had an issue. I've also used the Blizzard and if I was not using HOG's would choose that for under the ice. It was designed for cold. The SR-1 I would not choose under any circumstance. Bad rep and over priced IMO. Another cold water reg I've used in the Oceanic CDX 5 first stage with a delta 3 and GT3 second. Not the DVT version. Extra $100 bucks for no more benefit.

First off,

I told the LDS that I was exchanging it through LP, so that I wasn't buying it through them. He said that was fine and was then telling me about the regs. I am already spending money on classes through them, and they usually strike me as good people.

All of that aside..... I bought it on the recommendation of LP. I am good with LP, I never have had an issue, besides finding it VERY weird that they send their gear in Andorama photo boxes.... What are some other places you might recommend? They just always seem much cheaper than the LDS on most items..

Leisure Pro is a good place to deal with. Adorama is their sister store located below them. Other great places that I have dealt with are Dive Right in Scuba, Cave Adventurers, and Zeagle Express.

I use HOG's for all my coldwater diving. Down to under the ice as seen in my avatar. I also sell em, let's just get that out there in the open. But even before becoming a dealer I started using them for ice diving and never had an issue. I've also used the Blizzard and if I was not using HOG's would choose that for under the ice. It was designed for cold. The SR-1 I would not choose under any circumstance. Bad rep and over priced IMO. Another cold water reg I've used in the Oceanic CDX 5 first stage with a delta 3 and GT3 second. Not the DVT version. Extra $100 bucks for no more benefit.

Perfect information and beautifully put. Would you recommend another reg for warm water\the rest of the year or can a HOG (or Blizzard, since I know I can get that serviced locally), work just as fine the rest of the year as it would under the ice?

Perfect information and beautifully put. Would you recommend another reg for warm water\the rest of the year or can a HOG (or Blizzard, since I know I can get that serviced locally), work just as fine the rest of the year as it would under the ice?

Absolutely, they work great in warm water too.

Sent via teletype

I would get one or two of these in DIN (for another $5.00) from DRIS:

Edge Gear D1-Epic Regulator Combo
[Model: edge-hogcomb]
MSRP:$389.99
Our Price:$219.99
You Save:$170.00 (44%)
freeDOMshipping.jpg
pixel_trans.gif
Buy this item and earn 440 points valued at $22.00.
(Redeemable on future purchases)

This is the ultimate package for almost any diver! Coming with the IndestructibleHog D1 Second Stage, the ultra compact and easy breathing Edge Epic Coldwater YOKE First stage(first stage ONLY), and being followed up with a Phantom Flex Hoselength of your choice makes this an excellent package for all levels of divers!
You can customize the package below by adding an SPG, another D1 Second Stage to use as an octo, and other choices. Let us know if you want to add something different to your package!
Available Options:
Add a Bolt Snap?:None3" (+$3.00)3.5" (+$3.25)
Add a Hog SPG:None2" White Face (+$69.99)2.5" White Face (+$69.99)2" Black Face (+$69.99)2.5" Black Face (+$69.99)
Add an SPG Hose?:None40" HP (+$39.99)6" HP (+$27.99)32" HP (+$35.99)24" HP (+$33.99)30" HP (+$35.99)36" HP (+$37.99)
Add Braided Octo Hose:None26" (+$19.99)22" (+$17.99)32" (+$23.99)36" (+$26.99)40" (+$29.99)60" (+$37.99)84" (+$41.99)30" (+$21.99)44" (+$31.99)
Add D1 Octo Second Stage:NoneD1 Second Stage (+$104.99)D2 Second Stage (+$104.99)
Coldwater First Stage:Yes
First Stage:YokeDIN (+$5.00)
Primary Braided Hose:22"26"30"32"36"40"44"48"60"84"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom