reg. mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napv

Reaction score
mares abyss or will it be that is worthwhile to pay the price difference for the ruby?
thanks

MechDiver once bubbled...
Ruby is grossly overrated IMO. Go with the Abyss. Or, better yet, get Scubapro :D

or get Apeks.

I have both
I find the Ruby breathes a little better, but it is a heavier Reg unless of course you get the TI model

Overall both are fantastic, I also have a SP600 and it rates along side the Abyss for breathing.

I got my Ruby cheap and dive it more than any other reg I own, but it is personal preference take them both for a dive and see what one you like best

they both breath about the same, or at least I could not tell any difference between the two. Sydney is right about the weight difference. You cannot go wrong with either one, they are both excellent, and they perform as good as any SP or Apeks reg.
:tease:

I have both the Ruby and the Abyss. The Ruby is my primary, right post, reg and the Abyss is my alternate, left post, reg. I like them both and would reccomend either one to someone looking to buy a new reg. They both breath excellent at any depth. I too got my Ruby cheap, I was working at a LDS when I bought it so it was deffinately below market price.

The only concern I would have with the TI modle is the fact that TI is not recommended for use with high contractions of O2 so it may not be recommended for Nitrox. I don't know for sure what Mares has to say about this or even if the first stage is solid TI or just plated and if the inside of the first stage is TI plated or chrome plated. Might be worth looking into though.

Scott

HI Scott

The Ti Ruby is Titanium coated, the body itself is not titanium, I just spoke to a Mares Rep he says 40% Nitrox is about the limit of the Ti Ruby, IMHO the extra cost of the Ti Ruby is not worth it

Sydney_Diver,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what the point of the TI coating is, it wouldn't save much in the way weight and it's not like the chrome plated regs have a problem with excessive corrosion. I guess it's a nice selling point and a way to charge more for the same reg. I don't think it's worth it either.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom