Reg leaks, First or second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
Depends on the reg.... If under warranty with some brands - the customer gets free parts... but in order for us to give them the free parts, we have to send the old ones to the manufacturer with the serial number of the reg. If the customer wants the old parts - they can have them.... but then the parts would not be free.

If you think the guy is not actually rebuilding the reg... I wouldn't bother ask for the old parts... I'd just go somewhere where you did trust the guys.

I'm curious which manufacturer you're referring to that requires the parts be returned. Regardless of manufacturer, the LDS where I work returns all annual service parts. This includes Scubapro, Aqualung & Apeks - the main ones that provide "free parts." The only parts that are returned are those with unusual failures (i.e. bodies, crowns, etc.) - certainly not items in the service kit. And, yes we do get reimbursed for the warranty parts. The only thing we have to do is fill out the appropriate paperwork.

Zaphod:
I'm curious which manufacturer you're referring to that requires the parts be returned. Regardless of manufacturer, the LDS where I work returns all annual service parts. This includes Scubapro, Aqualung & Apeks - the main ones that provide "free parts." The only parts that are returned are those with unusual failures (i.e. bodies, crowns, etc.) - certainly not items in the service kit. And, yes we do get reimbursed for the warranty parts. The only thing we have to do is fill out the appropriate paperwork.

Zeagle is one that requires the old parts to be sent to them. That's how you get the "free parts". You pay for the initial stock and they replace them as you send them in.

It worked the same way when they sold Apeks regs.

NetDoc:
I agree RD009... I am confident that MOST LDS are not like this... but getting the parts (or at least seeing them) gives me a small feeling of comfort and lets the shop owner know that I am concerned that the entire job got done.
I hear you. If I was suspectto the service being provided, I would being concerned as well. I think that more than anything this is to prevent the stupidity lawsuits, like someone taking apart their reg for the sake of curiosity, and then not putting back an o-ring and then sueing the company when something goes wrong.

Mike, as far as what you were saying about zeagle and apeks, I don't know about the US but in canada, only zeagle requires the parts returned so then can be cleaned and reused (j/k ha ha) but apeks only asks that you givein the serials.

MikeFerrara:
Zeagle is one that requires the old parts to be sent to them. That's how you get the "free parts". You pay for the initial stock and they replace them as you send them in.

It worked the same way when they sold Apeks regs.

OK. Makes sense. We don't cary Zeagle, so I guess that's why I've never had to send any parts back. The other "free parts" manufacturers work the same way (i.e. pay for them up-front and then get reimbursed), but the only thing that needs to be returned is some paperwork - not the parts themselves. I guess they got tired of having so many useless parts come back that nobody ever looked at anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom