Reg leaks, First or second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chas

New
Reaction score
I have a Genesis Micro that has been great! However, in the last year the second stage has had a tendency to leak. I have had it seviced twice in the last year but still the problem persists. Adjustments at the second stage tighten the diaphragm but still, once broken the leak continues. Is this a problem in the first or second stages or both??........Any Ideas??

undefinedundefined

Chas:
I have a Genesis Micro that has been great! However, in the last year the second stage has had a tendency to leak. I have had it seviced twice in the last year but still the problem persists. Adjustments at the second stage tighten the diaphragm but still, once broken the leak continues. Is this a problem in the first or second stages or both??........Any Ideas??

undefinedundefined

It is likely the intermediate pressure of the first stage is "creeping" beyond the yield pressure of the second stage. I would have a tech check the intermediate pressure, which takes no more than 10 minutes.

Greg

Sounds like a good place to start. If the pressure keeps rising the HP seat can be replaced.

This of course depends on if the leak is a steady trickle (LP seat problem) or it goes for a while and then kinda lets out a little puff of air and then keeps going( HP seat problem) Shoudl be a warranty thing.

A continual leak like that is almost always a high pressure seat in the first stage. I carry extras for just that reason as well as an IP guage (plugs into the LP hose). Make sure that they replace yours with every service. In fact, if they don't give you the old parts ASK for them. Politely at first, but I wouldn't pay for a service that did not include returning the old parts to me.

NetDoc:
A continual leak like that is almost always a high pressure seat in the first stage. I carry extras for just that reason as well as an IP guage (plugs into the LP hose). Make sure that they replace yours with every service. In fact, if they don't give you the old parts ASK for them. Politely at first, but I wouldn't pay for a service that did not include returning the old parts to me.

Depends on the reg.... If under warranty with some brands - the customer gets free parts... but in order for us to give them the free parts, we have to send the old ones to the manufacturer with the serial number of the reg. If the customer wants the old parts - they can have them.... but then the parts would not be free.

If you think the guy is not actually rebuilding the reg... I wouldn't bother ask for the old parts... I'd just go somewhere where you did trust the guys.

scubatoys:
Depends on the reg.... If under warranty with some brands - the customer gets free parts... but in order for us to give them the free parts, we have to send the old ones to the manufacturer with the serial number of the reg. If the customer wants the old parts - they can have them.... but then the parts would not be free.

If you think the guy is not actually rebuilding the reg... I wouldn't bother ask for the old parts... I'd just go somewhere where you did trust the guys.

I would have to agree with you 100%. Right up there where it says you are not supposed to sell the parts, it says that you are not supposed to give them back. By all means present them, to show that you did the service and what condition the parts were in, but do not return them. Like scubatoys says, your better off trying to just find a place that will do a goo service.

I own several regs... and would prefer to NOT have "warranty" work done to them. The warranties only cover parts, and I would rather pay the shop to have it done right, and get MY old parts back. I was in automotive for years, and that was SOP unless it was warranty or a core. Even then, the customer had the option of inspecting the part, buying it or buying the core. I also felt that warranty work was the most short cutted work in the shop. It's just not that expensive to pay to have it done right.

Chas:

undefinedundefined

Sounds silly and obvious but every time I have had a reg leak it was due to a small tear in the mouth piece hidden close to the zip tie. This is not something that would always be noticed during service. Happened to me two months ago in fact. First dive after servicing my reg was leaking and as soon as I was on the boat I found the crack in the mouth piece.

--Matt

NetDoc:
I also felt that warranty work was the most short cutted work in the shop. .

I would sooner compare "warranty" reg service to a regular preventative maintenance, like changing out your spark plugs before they go on their own or rotating your tires before the drive wheels go bald. Having also worked in the automotiv repair industry, I can say that although i agree that warranty work can sometimes be skimped on, it is not is direct comparison to annual reg service.

I agree RD009... I rebuild my own regs for many of the reasons already cited in this thread. Still, I would rather pay the $15-$25 bucks in parts and have the old ones (which is in essence what I do now) than to worry if stuff got changed. I had a friend who discovered that they had never changed the two o-rings in his pressure guage after they blew at 60 ft. After the dive he went home and inspected his baggie... none were in it. He payed extra to have his guages serviced too! I had a long talk with a shop owner who was trying to hire me... He showed me how he did his yearly check-ups which convinced me to never darken his doorway again. I am confident that MOST LDS are not like this... but getting the parts (or at least seeing them) gives me a small feeling of comfort and lets the shop owner know that I am concerned that the entire job got done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom