Reg for use with pony bottle - Calypso?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to buy a new regulator for use on a pony bottle.

My number one criteria is dependability and "bomb proofness". It just has to deliver air when needed. After that cost is importent.

I'm partial to Aqualung and Apeks. So my question to those of you who repair and service regs: Is the Aqualung "Calypso" as reliable as the "Titan"? I see both used in the rental market where stuff sees much use and abuse. I could also get an Apeks ATX20 but the Calypso is offered at 1/2 the price.

If it matters, the pony setup will be used in the ocean down to 50F degrees and just under 100ft at most. Most of my diving is to 60 or 65 and mid/low 50's temp at depth. Ice is not an issue

ChrisA:
I want to buy a new regulator for use on a pony bottle.

My number one criteria is dependability and "bomb proofness". It just has to deliver air when needed. After that cost is importent.

I'm partial to Aqualung and Apeks. So my question to those of you who repair and service regs: Is the Aqualung "Calypso" as reliable as the "Titan"? I see both used in the rental market where stuff sees much use and abuse. I could also get an Apeks ATX20 but the Calypso is offered at 1/2 the price.

If it matters, the pony setup will be used in the ocean down to 50F degrees and just under 100ft at most. Most of my diving is to 60 or 65 and mid/low 50's temp at depth. Ice is not an issue

This should be a good reg for the purpose intended. If you are looking at cheap price and decent performance, look for the OMS deco regs. They are O2 cleaned which sounds like overkill for you, but I would bet that they are probably as cheap or cheaper than the Aqualung. This depends on if you can get them close to you though.

A "flow by" piston or unbalanced piston first stage is about as bomb proof as it gets. Air flow should be adequate at or slightly below 100 ft but only just. In general it is a good idea to always have the redundant reg be of equal quality to your primary reg so that you donlt get into a situation where you exceed your backup reg's capability to deliver the air required.

I agree, the reg should be of good quality, cuz I know a guy that regretted using a brut under the ice, but I would disagree with the guy that uses an ATX200 on his stage bottle.... Don't laugh it happens.

rescuediver009:
I agree, the reg should be of good quality, cuz I know a guy that regretted using a brut under the ice, but I would disagree with the guy that uses an ATX200 on his stage bottle.... Don't laugh it happens.

I think the words "good reg" mean different things if applied to a primary reg or if applied to a pony bottle reg. Example: For a primary reg you want it to breath well but for a pony you want it de-tuned to the point where it will absolutly not free flow. Also I think maybe I want an unballanced "downstream" reg for the pony as these regs have about 1/2 the parts count Also if we are talking about top brands like Aqualung, Scubapro and so on are there any "bad" regs?. They are all good and even a low en SP Mk 2/R190 or AL Calypso will supply plenty of air at 130 feet but a tech diver going to 250ft may want a ballanced reg

I would agree. What I would do is look at the line of your primary regs and try to match it up that way. This way when service comes around you will make klife easier for yourself. Almost every line has a decent pony reg. What make are your regs. ?

Back
Top Bottom