Reg advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just stay away from old regs on Ebay. (There are sometimes decent deals on more recent models, but quite often they get bid up to 80% of retail, and no warranty)
LP had the ATX50's on special yesterday under $300 but were running low.

Hmm. OK, rebuild costs are something to think about then, thx. I remember someone saying shops charge $30-50 for parts every other year, so I assumed I would be able to find kits pretty easily. Maybe it's more time/cost effective to just buy new and leave it to the experts. :/

Hmm, just checked out the Salvo SR1/SR2 with SRS - these look pretty nice! Is there a general consensus about whether they're reliable compared to the bigger brands?

Also, it looks like they're mainly DIN. Considering I'll be renting tanks for a while, are people concerned about using those DIN-to-yoke converters?

Fairly flexible. I'd consider myself lucky to get a decent 1st stage + primary for <$300, will be wondering what other toys I could get with $500, virtually certain I don't want to spend more than $600.

In that price range, I'd go with new Salvos or Dive Rites, or I'd inch up a bit and go with an Apeks XTX50 or one the Atomic Z2. The Salvos are now ~$380 for a set. Given that, I'd reach a bit for an Apeks or an Atomic. The reality is that the Apeks/Atomics will breathe better than a lower-end reg (I've owned Salvos, Aqualungs and Apeks, there is a difference). So, if you are going to be diving a lot, I'd look into getting a decent reg for ~$450.

Take a look at the Zeagle Flathead VI:
Perfect Score &#8211; Scuba Lab
Lightweight 2nd stage to prevent jaw fatigue and add to overall comfort
Nitrox compatible to 40% (the recreational limits of nitrox)
"Diver Adjustable" Air flow
"Diver Adjustable" venturi to prevent unwanted free-flow
Compact balanced 1st stage
Sealed first stage provides greater reliability, less maintenance and higher performance
Buy Zeagle Flathead VI ZX Regulator 350-1110 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Take a look at the Zeagle Flathead VI:
Perfect Score – Scuba Lab
Lightweight 2nd stage to prevent jaw fatigue and add to overall comfort
Nitrox compatible to 40% (the recreational limits of nitrox)
"Diver Adjustable" Air flow
"Diver Adjustable" venturi to prevent unwanted free-flow
Compact balanced 1st stage
Sealed first stage provides greater reliability, less maintenance and higher performance
Buy Zeagle Flathead VI ZX Regulator 350-1110 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Probably outside of the OP's price range, but thanks for pointing to it.

For what it is worth, I've breathed off of Zeagles and was not impressed, but maybe that is just me. The sweetest breathing reg I've ever used was a Scubapro S600 hooked up to an Apeks first stage . . . my Apeks and Aqualungs are close seconds in terms of performance. All personal preference, ymmv, bladdity blah.

Because for me the regulator is the most important part of equipment
you use, my advise is to spend some more money on that.
A decent regulator will serve you for many years (if properly maintained).
The thing is to buy something that has good support for example apeks or scubapro.
I have the apeks DST with the ATX40 and the scubapro MK25 with the S600.
They breathe well, effortless, are very easy to find replacement parts and almost every decent scuba shop can service them.
Hope that helps,
georgios777

In that price range, I'd go with new Salvos or Dive Rites, or I'd inch up a bit and go with an Apeks XTX50 or one the Atomic Z2. The Salvos are now ~$380 for a set. Given that, I'd reach a bit for an Apeks or an Atomic. The reality is that the Apeks/Atomics will breathe better than a lower-end reg (I've owned Salvos, Aqualungs and Apeks, there is a difference). So, if you are going to be diving a lot, I'd look into getting a decent reg for ~$450.

Doug: They are still $300 a set for the SR2/ SRS combo. $380 is for the SRX 2nd stage kit.

FYI :)

To the OP: I like the salvo. Not as fancy as my atomics, but they breath decent, are simple, sealed and affordable. If I had to start from scratch I may well go that way. I'm actually using my Salvo to build a singles rig, but I'm keeping my Atomics on my doubles. YMMV. :)

Bjorn

Salvo Diving Equipment - Regs, Gauges, Hoses

$250 for SR1/SRS or SR2/SRS combo, includes 7' hose. That kind of price almost makes me worry :) Is the only real difference between the SR1 and SR2 the swivel? Is it important?

I'd have to go with a DIN-to-Yoke converter, but it sounds like there aren't too many concerns about that being an extra failure point (especially with a lot of lugging tanks from the valve-area)?

Salvo Diving Equipment - Regs, Gauges, Hoses

$250 for SR1/SRS or SR2/SRS combo, includes 7' hose. That kind of price almost makes me worry :) Is the only real difference between the SR1 and SR2 the swivel? Is it important?

I'd have to go with a DIN-to-Yoke converter, but it sounds like there aren't too many concerns about that being an extra failure point (especially with a lot of lugging tanks from the valve-area)?

Check Salvo Supply - Home for current prices, these may be a bit off, but not sure.

As to the swivel, that is a back-and-forth in terms of utility, lots of threads on it. Bottom line is that your hoses for a single tank will route fine with the non-swivel, I know, I used to have that reg set. DIN-to-Yoke converter works fine as well, you may be able to track down a yoke conversion kit to make it a permanent yoke reg if that is what you need. I'd talk to Salvo.

Good, simple, regs for the money. I bet if they are tuned properly they'd breathe better than mine did.

what the hey... Ill throw in a couple pennies....
you are scheduled for GUE-F... you WILL be doing nitrox. Nitrox is now part of Fundimentals.
Nitrox ALMOST means nothing when it comes to buying regs anymore. MOST dive shops blend the mix not Partial Pressure...
Swivel vs non Swivel. I have Apeks Ds4s I also have Mk25. (MK25 is swivel DS4 is not) Yeah the MK25 routes hoses slightly better for doubles than the DS4, but it has nothing to do with the swivel, just the port on the bottom. I personally see no use for a swivel reg, Im not "It is a failure point and you will die!!@" But I see it as more parts, more machining, more money for nothing. By the way, its a failure point and you will die!!!!!

You say <$600 is that for everything or just the regs? Dont forget you will want your backup 2nd stage, along with your brass and glass SPG... Super duper shoppers can find the spg for ~$60, but they go for about 100 in most LDS, and a 2nd stage....another bill or two.

regarding the annual serive, Im not sure where in Cali you live, but Im just north of LA and the going price here is $30 a stage. So figure 90 a year plus parts. SP should be under warante, Apeks I think are free parts also (I dunno I have the parts and do it myself) if the Apeks aren't free, watch out as the part kits are $$$ I don't know what retail is on the parts, but cost is I think 15 for second stage and 22 for first. I don't have my Atomics price list with me, but I want to say they are about 15 for the kits also... Shoot me a PM, if we are local, I have a "classic downstream" (read non balanced 1st or 2nd) a MK25/S600, DS4/XTX40, TX 50. and ATX 50 you can try, I also have a MK15 D400. Ill let you try any that you want, I can show you diagrams how they work and let you make an educated decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom