Reg advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Boy am I glad I didn't make any big gear purchases just after getting certified. A year later, I still only have a really basic understanding of the equipment, and would never have made the "right buy" on chance alone.

But I have learned that I like the DIR philosophy, and am in the queue for GUE-F next year. I've also tried and liked the hog setup, and I'm looking to build my rig around that.

Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive regulators (both 1st and 2nd stages) that despite low price don't sacrifice much in terms of safety/performance, and are acceptable for DIR purposes? I don't want a dangerous piece of junk just to save $100, but I've also heard over and over that a lot of cheaper regs work just about as well as the more expensive ones under most situations.

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to stay a recreational diver (SoCal + NorCal + tropical vacation waters), will rarely go beyond 100fsw, and likely won't be getting into nitrox or exotic mixes. I just want to have relaxing dives with friends, see the pretty fauna and flora, and do so in a safe manner.

Thanks!

Will when you take GUE-F nitrox is a big part of that but the atomic z2 is a good reg and about 400 all so the scubapro mk s550 or 555 are some good cheaper regs for the 100 fsw. You can allso talk to you lds about a used high end reg. i hope this helps you out some what anyother ?? pm me.

I'm partial to my mk25/s600's but they are a bit pricey. However, Dive Rite makes some very affordable regs. I have a rg2010 2nd stage that breathes very well. I think I gave about $200 for it new.

Do you already own regs or you are buying your first set?

If you already have em, I'd honestly just use the ones you have.

However, if buying your first set, then it makes sense to get good ones.

I started with APEKS DS4/TX50 which are decent and not too much $$$ and easy to service.

However, for my back gas I switched recently to Scubapro MK25/S600 regs which are more expensive but breathe to me much better (and as they are piston regs, have some possible downsides in really cold/ice diving).

I dont have experience with other regs, and still use (and love) apeks on my stage and deco bottles.

The hose routing for apeks on most doubles is less optimal than MK25, although the APeks with swivel might be better than the non-swivel DS4

Have any of you guys used or know anyone using these regs?

Salvo Supply - Salvo SR2 First Stage

Seems like the best of Apeks (diaphram for cold) and MK20/25 (hose routing). A little pricier than DS4's, but rebuild kits are cheaper and much easier to get. I have been thinking about these for my next set, but I would sure like to hear from someone who has used them first.

Regarding the OP - I don't know if you have an LDS that you buy from but if not this site has good deals on Apeks stuff:
DIVE THE ABYSS: REGULATORS

Also, you might take a look at these:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...-diaphragm-first-stages-yoke-din-60-each.html
I bought a couple of these because they're so cheap that if it didn't breath well then I could use it for suit inflation or not - no big deal. I have used them quite a few times and seems to work just fine. I can't speak for the reliability as I just haven't tested them enough. It might be a good option for now as they are just so cheap you won't feel too bad in a year or so if you decide you want to upgrade. If I were you I would either buy a good reg, like apeks, scubapro, atomic, and maybe a salvo or diverite - or buy something like this reg for really cheap.

Good luck

Hunter

Thanks for the advice all.

This will be my first regulator (or pretty much anything since having to buy snorkel/mask/fins for OW class).

I'm 100% positive that cold/ice diving isn't for me, so the main gist of the diaphragm/piston debate doesn't concern me. I'd care more if one breathes better than the other, or is more reliable under "normal" usage, but I'll be honest, I've tried 10-year old rentals and $1k titanium regs of some sort or the other, and I really couldn't really tell the difference.

Nitrox is reasonably in my future, but my recreational dives aren't particularly deep or long, and I'm just aiming for a rec pass (singles, no can light, etc.). Actually, passing really means little to me as my only real priority is to see how I can become a better diver (and once the class teaches me how, I'll practice on my own if I fail). So a "nitrox-ready" reg isn't going to play a large role in my purchasing decision, but if it's just $20 more, I'll be a good consumer and swallow the upsell.

I'm also somewhat interested in learning how to service my own regs, or otherwise just be mindful of the cost of regular service/parts versus purchase price. Being able to stop in at the LDS to pick up a rebuild kit is a plus, but if they're easily available online, I'm OK with that too. I'm more than happy to buy used, but I'll think twice if it means giving up a warranty or free-parts-for-life or anything like that. I'll be servicing every year on the dot, as I'm just anal that way.

I guess my main question is what I'll give up by going slightly cheaper. Is a $200 Scubapro reg going to be at a higher risk of failing than a $500 reg? Will it deliver more air to me at depth? Or will I just be giving up a swiveling barrel and second HP port that I'll never use anyways?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Most of the guys in Monterey are using MK25's on their doubles with DS4's being the next runner up... If I had to do it all over again I would start out with one MK25/G250 for a single rig then build up from that... That should bring you all the way thru T1/C1 if you decide to go that far.

Also since you said you've signed up for Fundies you could go and ask your Fundies instructor what his thoughts are... I'm pretty sure he dives the same waters as you.... and maybe he can put you in touch with some one who's going to be in the same class... That way you can start diving together, and building your kits at the same time.

What exactly is your budget?

Fairly flexible. I'd consider myself lucky to get a decent 1st stage + primary for <$300, will be wondering what other toys I could get with $500, virtually certain I don't want to spend more than $600.

So a "nitrox-ready" reg isn't going to play a large role in my purchasing decision, but if it's just $20 more, I'll be a good consumer and swallow the upsell.

All regs are "nitrox-ready" for up to 40%. In your fundies class you will learn the advantages of using 32% for all dives.

I'm also somewhat interested in learning how to service my own regs, or otherwise just be mindful of the cost of regular service/parts versus purchase price. Being able to stop in at the LDS to pick up a rebuild kit is a plus, but if they're easily available online, I'm OK with that too.

I would guess it unlikely that you will just stop into you LDS and buy a rebuild kit. Certainly not likely with Apeks and Scubapro. You can generally find kits online, but Apeks seem to be more common than Scubapro. Also, the kits for those brands are much more expensive than say Diverite and Salvo, both of which are readily available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom