Refurbished Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience buying a refurbished camera online? While googling around, I came across a nice-looking refurbished Canon for a great price. Normally, I'd be skeptical but since it's Canon certified and for sale through their website, I'm thinking it might be OK. It's also under warranty. Are there any downsides I should be aware of? (I've never bought anything refurbished so your patience is appreciated. :wink:)

If it is under warranty from a reputable dealer (i.e. one that will honor the warranty), then go for it!

Things I might watch for is that it might be scratched up a bit, or have some faded spots, but the camera itself should work fine, and may have some new parts on it.

As good as new from the factory or service center! They usually gut the old stuff and put all new inside! I have bought many refurbished! Sometimes less problems because they are tested better!

In some cases factory refurbs can be better than new. The camera I use is a case in point...Fuji F-700 for it's time a very well designed compact digital. Zero shutter lag 6.1meg with a wide color gamut. Only 1 major problem the original factory sensors regularly died. Fuji did a unoffical recall any that were sent in were fixed free even out of warranty. The refurbs were returns that all had the sensor replaced with an updated sensor. These cameras take great pictures but because of the original sensors got bad raps. The refurbs are highly reliable and closed out at $99 where the original MSRP was $679 with a street price of $499. I even found a new factory housing for mine for another $99.
To sum it up factory refurbs can be worth while but you need to do some research to find out and then consider the cost savings and if a warranty is available.

Both of my Olympus C4000Z cameras are refurbs and I have been using them for about 5 years with no problems.

Thank you for the responses! Although the camera would be coming from the Canon website, the warranty is only for 90 days so that's a bit of a turn-off. Plus the price isn't all that great once both taxes and shipping is added on.

Anna, typical for refurbed equipment to carry only a 90 day warranty. Being the starving dive bum that I am, I've purchased a number of items that way. The HP pavilion desktop computer I bought in 2000 still works great... more dependable than my newest computer was with a full year warranty. Same with the refurbed Nikon Coolpix I bought in 2000.

I have a refurbished Canon and there are a few cosmetic issues, but it works fine otherwise. The biggest "issue" is that there is a piece of dust under the LCD screen. It's in the screen itself, so it doesn't show up in the images.

As far as the 90 day warranty- I'm of the belief that electronics will either work forever or fail right away. I think you'll discover any bugs quickly.

I have a refurbished Canon and there are a few cosmetic issues, but it works fine otherwise. The biggest "issue" is that there is a piece of dust under the LCD screen. It's in the screen itself, so it doesn't show up in the images.

As far as the 90 day warranty- I'm of the belief that electronics will either work forever or fail right away. I think you'll discover any bugs quickly.

I wish I could share that belief... but my iMac that required a new motherboard a year or so after the warranty expired won't let me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom