Refunds for medical cancellation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's rough Freedc. Sorry to hear about the ear infection and resulting chaos... Get well soon!

Seeing as the resort is in the Philippines, this is not unusual.

Number one, nice restraint not naming the property, it will be evident why I say this.

The "system" here is just not well setup for refunds. Consumer protection/rights are not very strong here. In that light, the merchant(resort) doesn't feel that they're doing anything wrong.... Of course there are property owners here who have much higher standards of business, but they're the exception.(They're usually foreigners too, US or European.)

I'm actually surprised, that they're willing to give credit with so much flexibility. Of course I would think the best option is to try and schedule a future trip out here to use your deposit. Otherwise, do you have a buddy traveling that would "buy" the deposit off of you?

Or, you can try to discretely sell it here on SB?

I think the resort is making you a very nice offer. Hopefully, either you or someone you know can take advantage of it.

Fortunately, it's only the deposit. Many places that I book into in SE Asia, especially liveaboards have it all upfront before I actually get there.

The dive resort, however, would not give a refund even with the doctor's letter and the fact that I canceled less than 24 hours after making the reservation. (I reserved two nights before I was to leave because it was low season and I didn't anticipate being grounded).

The best they offered was a credit good for up to a year and the right to transfer it to a friend or family member. I don't see any feasible way for me to get back to Philippines so I guess I have to find someone else to recover the ~$500.

Trip insurance. Or maybe your doc will cover the costs, lol.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to side with the resort on this one. They may have arranged for a boat to be leased or a DM to work. Maybe they could let you slide for a Good Reason but probably then everyone who wants to cancel will have a Good Reason. From the resort's perspective it doesn't matter WHY you canceled, you're not there. Their credit policy is amazing but did you actually talk to them or just email?

Your actions baffle me. You wait until 48 hours before departure to book the resort because it's low season and you figure there is plenty of vacancy, then why not wait until 24 hours before and after your visit to doc? What are the odds the resort would have a vacancy in the months leading up but someone snap up the last spot in that 24 hour period? Why wait until the day before departure to see the doc? And if I felt so well 48 hours before that I was booking a resort, I'd have seen another doc to make sure the first one's advice is not precautionary CYA.

Finally, you mention "work-related" so was this pleasure trip combined with a business trip? If so, perhaps your work may reimburse you.

Back
Top Bottom