refresher courses???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devils_advocate

Contributor
Reaction score
What does everyone think about refresher courses? Would you recommend them or maybe just a refresher 'dive' with a decent dive buddy. It just seems silly to me to recommend to any of my friends to spend their money on it when they can get the same thing from sitting down and reading their dive book and playing with their gear.

It might make a difference if it's been longer than a year or so.

Hallmac

about two years...

The guy is/was a wicked good diver that just has not had the chance to hit the water. Not only was he a really good diver but he is well above the average intelligence and common sense. I just think that I'm going to feel like a jackass if he goes and tells me that it was a waste of money. I don't that know if I was in his shoes I would go. So it makes it hard for me to tell him too.

Reason I ask is alot of operations require an up to date log book that shows a few dives within the last year or a recent scuba skills update class before allowing them to dive.

If he is one that doesn't log dives and is heading out on a trip it might be worth the money just for the signature.

I recommend the course because it Gives me a chance to work one on one with a diver to improve their skills, give an answer to that lingering question they have never asked, or clearify a misconception.

Hallmac

That's cool I never thought of it like that.. but if he were to that why not just take another course for an extra 50 bucks or so..

If he has the time and so desires I don't see a problem with it.

Most refresher courses are a one day thing over 3 to four hours around here. If they appear to need more than they can get in the allotted time I always recommend it and transfer the refresher cost to the class so the student hasn't waisted money and gets the training they need to get back into the sport safely.

Hallmac

Hallmac is right about the trip thing. When I was in the Seychelles last year people who hadn't dived for 6 months had to go into the pool and demonstrate skills.

I haven't dived since last July and am going on a trip in April so I'm doing a refresher at home in a few weeks so I don't have to waste any time once I get to my destination and I can take my first dive without as much trepidation that I might have forgotten something. I'd rather do something stupid in the pool than in the Carribean.

I get a lot of interest in refresher classes...Mostly it's from people who were certified several years ago, mayby only did their cert dives or a just a few dives afterward and quit diving for whatever reason.

The refresher works well for several reasons...

Lost their original c-card and need a new one (going way back, computerized data bases were not the norm)

Equipment has come long way in the past 10 or 15 years

Tables have changed (doppler etc)

Alternate air sources are a must now

Computers

Advent of Nitrox

Emergence of Tech Diving

Confidence builder

I think that I'm just going to tell him to take the AOW course. This way he get's wet again with an instructor. I'm sure the majority of everything will come back to him as he assembles his gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom