Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was at the store and looking at some reels price is from cheap to way to much!
Is there quality into a reel? What should I look when shipping for one?
My principal use will be for a fix line to a wreck, it will be a “jump” line most of the time!

You want plastic? SS? Aluminum?

I don't mind aluminum/ SS spools.

Plastic breaks to easy,

With reels check out used ones.

From making my own, to now, I have picked up all kinds of used reels, in fact,
I have a few I have never used.

Personally for the diving I do I love my SS finger spool. Goes with me on every dive, as well as a lift bag.

Attachments

• 20240802_120954.jpg
    20240802_120954.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 40
I was at the store and looking at some reels price is from cheap to way to much!
Is there quality into a reel? What should I look when shipping for one?
My principal use will be for a fix line to a wreck, it will be a “jump” line most of the time!
Some considerations:
  • Warm water or cold water? Some are hard to use with think gloves.
  • Distance to cover? Short distances might be best with a spool; long distances with a reel.
  • Smooth or rough tie offs? Depending on what you are attaching the line to, you may want quite think line, so bigger reels/spools are required.
  • Heavy duty or light duty? A solid SS reel will last forever and take really rough treatment, but it is bulky and heavy.
  • Some reels have rachets; nice until they break/jam. Best to avoid.
  • Carry it with you all the time just in case, or transport to a location and tie it off? Smaller is better for the former use.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "jump" line. That is a cave-diving term for connecting two permanent lines. Do you mean to go from a down line or anchor to a wreck so you can find your way back?

Some considerations:
  • Warm water or cold water? Some are hard to use with think gloves.
  • Distance to cover? Short distances might be best with a spool; long distances with a reel.
  • Smooth or rough tie offs? Depending on what you are attaching the line to, you may want quite think line, so bigger reels/spools are required.
  • Heavy duty or light duty? A solid SS reel will last forever and take really rough treatment, but it is bulky and heavy.
  • Some reels have rachets; nice until they break/jam. Best to avoid.
  • Carry it with you all the time just in case, or transport to a location and tie it off? Smaller is better for the former use.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "jump" line. That is a cave-diving term for connecting two permanent lines. Do you mean to go from a down line or anchor to a wreck so you can find your way back?
Yeah there’s couple wreck here, you need to tie your own line to get from the main line, this is to avoid Ow diver to get there without proper training, since you’ll hit deco on the way back!

Yeah there’s couple wreck here, you need to tie your own line to get from the main line, this is to avoid Ow diver to get there without proper training, since you’ll hit deco on the way back!
How do you avoid another diver using your line?
What kind of distance are you talking about?

Can’t avoid them there’s sign underwater. I’ll say about 75fy.
Since you are on the bottom, accumulating deco time, I assume you want to get off the bottom as soon as possible to mitigate accumulating all that deco, Thus, you do not want to spend a lot of time reeling in your "jump" line. I would avoid a spool, and go for a large reel, so you can get across that 75 ft gap as soon as poosible and start ascending.
Presumably you use your compass to find the wreck? If not, how?

Since you are on the bottom, accumulating deco time, I assume you want to get off the bottom as soon as possible to mitigate accumulating all that deco, Thus, you do not want to spend a lot of time reeling in your "jump" line. I would avoid a spool, and go for a large reel, so you can get across that 75 ft gap as soon as poosible and start ascending.
Presumably you use your compass to find the wreck? If not, how?
Yup compass go str8 south and you’ll hit it!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom