Reel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm am in the process of purchasing my first reel. I'm not too familiar with what I should be looking for. What are some of the qualities I should look for in a good all-purpose reel?

Thanks.

jhnsndn once bubbled...
good all-purpose reel?

There is not really any such thing. We'll need to know what you are planing to use the reel for to tell you what to look for.

James

It needs to hold adequate amounts of line for your intended use.

It should be easy to hold, use, and reel.

It should fairly jam proof, open faced reels are the best at that.

Simple is better. The less moving parts and "gadgets" on one the better.

Halcyon makes a reel that I really like using. In contrast I think my dive-rite reels suck. I also have a home made reel (not by me) that is fairly good, better than most of the other manufactured ones out there.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
It should be easy to hold, use, and reel.

It should fairly jam proof, open faced reels are the best at that.

Simple is better. The less moving parts and "gadgets" on one the better.

Yep, which is why I'm waiting to hear the intended use. I usually just carry a spool if I'm not penetrating anything.

Halcyon makes a reel that I really like using. In contrast I think my dive-rite reels suck.

I'm curious what is different about the Pathfinder that makes it better than the Dive Rite reels. I've never had any trouble with my Dive Rite reels though I could live without the stupid plastic lockdown nut. But then again I've never used a Pathfinder to compare to.

James Goddard once bubbled...

Yep, which is why I'm waiting to hear the intended use. I usually just carry a spool if I'm not penetrating anything.

I'm curious what is different about the Pathfinder that makes it better than the Dive Rite reels. I've never had any trouble with my Dive Rite reels though I could live without the stupid plastic lockdown nut. But then again I've never used a Pathfinder to compare to.

I have recently changed my opinion about just carrying reels on penetration dives. I always carry a safety spool with me on every dive with at least 100' of line on it. I often carry additional spools depending on the logistics of the dive.

On a recent dive trip, we planned to do a 220' dive on mix. Plan was to drop a hook attached to a bouy on the wreck, do or dive, then float with the bouy while doing our deco. I carried two liftbags and spool for each, in addition to my standard safety spool.

During our dive planning the night before, my dive buddy and I agreed that in the event we had to shoot a bag, we would do it from our 70' stop after our first gas switch. With a 100' spool that left 30' of "play" in the line.

The day of the dive, seas were running 6'. We decided to move to an alternate site that wasn't as far out so we wouldnt get pounded on the boat ride so badly. When we get to the new site, the current is running about 4kts. making the use of the bouy and grapple damn near impossible.

We decide to do a hot drop, upcurrent, drift down to the wreck, do our dive, then shoot bags to deco on while we drift.

We hit the bottom at 229', deeper than our target depth. Because of various small problems that popped up I called the dive early, with a bottom time of 20 minutes.

We start up, and hit our first deco stop. Once we get to the 70' mark I elect not to shoot the bag yet. My concern was that the additional 30' of line on my spool would not allow sufficient scope considering the amount of current present. Instead, I waited til we hit the 50' mark to deploy the bag.

As a result of the delay deploying the marker, the boat had trouble finding us initially. This experience taught me a few things:

1) I bought a larger SMB that was easier to spot.
2) I bought a spool capable of holding 150' of line.
3) I bought a reel that I feel is capable of using to deploy a line while we are still at depth without jamming.

The reason I think the pathfinder reel is a better reel is because:

1) It holds more line.
2) It's more ergonomic to hold and use than the D/R.
3) Its more open, so it makes it much less likely to jam or birdsnest.
4) The lockdown nut on the D/R is nylon, and it absorbs moisture and starts to swell after a while (which is why they give you an extra one when you buy it.)
5) The lock down nut presses against the face of the D/R reel, which causes the reel to be "cocked" on the spindle.
6) It's much easier to hold and operate the Pathfinder while holding a light than it is with a D/R.

Like I said, that's just my preference based on my experiences. I can guarantee you tho, that it will be with me on any open ocean dives below 170~180' and that it will be my primary guideline when diving caves.

YMMV.

jhnsndn once bubbled...
I will mostly use it for guide lines and some wreck penetrations.

In that case I would basicly re-iterate the points Cave Diver made. Simple, open, etc.

See our disscussion about DR/Halcyon reels. I can't make a direct comparison but neither would be a bad choice. Some of the Reef Scuba reels look good but, again I haven't actually held one. Avoid closed reels.

Make sure you have at least 36# line for wreck penetrations.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
1) I bought a larger SMB that was easier to spot.
2) I bought a spool capable of holding 150' of line.
3) I bought a reel that I feel is capable of using to deploy a line while we are still at depth without jamming.

Yep, I use the Halcyon 5' SMB. I'm not doing deep deco yet so I'm happy with the 100' currently on my spool, but I can certainly understand your need.

2) It's more ergonomic to hold and use than the D/R.

Yea, one of these days I'm gonna have to try one of these. From the pictures it actually looks a little less comfortable, but these things are really hard to get a feel for from pictures.

We only have 1 Halcyon dealer here who doesn't stock any of their items. Conversely 3/4's of the shops sell DR so it's the only thing I can actually play with locally.

4) The lockdown nut on the D/R is nylon, and it absorbs moisture and starts to swell after a while (which is why they give you an extra one when you buy it.)

Yep, the plastic (err nylon) nut is a bad design choice. I think I've seen SS replacements somwhere....

5) The lock down nut presses against the face of the D/R reel, which causes the reel to be "cocked" on the spindle.

I'm not sure what you are saying here but I just twist the nut down between the "ridges" on the face of the reel. It leaves a little play but is effective.

6) It's much easier to hold and operate the Pathfinder while holding a light than it is with a D/R.

Again, maybe one of these days I can actually try one and see.

James Goddard:
There is not really any such thing. We'll need to know what you are planing to use the reel for to tell you what to look for.

James

Hi,
I am preparing for my first live aboard diving in Tobago. Peter Hughes l/a requires me to have a reel and float to be deployed "only in an emergency situation". Could you give me suggestions specific to this requirement? I have read the postings but I am still unclear about exactly what I should purchase. Thanks much.
Jane

Wild Woman:
Hi,
I am preparing for my first live aboard diving in Tobago. Peter Hughes l/a requires me to have a reel and float to be deployed "only in an emergency situation". Could you give me suggestions specific to this requirement? I have read the postings but I am still unclear about exactly what I should purchase. Thanks much.
Jane
Wow, blast from the past. Someone knows how to use the search function :wink:.

If they require a "reel" for your SMB, my personal favorite for this is a delrin finger spool. Halcyon, Dive Rite, Oxycheq and (I think) OMS all make one. If you need to know how to deploy it I think I have posted a link to a video in the past. (Search on SMB & spool and if you can't find it let me know and I'll look it up again.)

However, before you spend money, call the PH guys. Make sure they don't require an actual "reel". If they have a specific reuirement, I'd find out from them exactly what they want and why. Make sure you talk to someone with a clue, not just reading from paper.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom