Reel and SMB Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declan long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I bourght an kent tooling s steel reel and a smb, i want to store the smb and reel together ready to use for diving but how, i opted for the bungee idea, do i simply just tie the bungee rounf the handle and stuff the bag in? also i got a line stop, how do i use this please, all can be found on divingproducts.co.uk thanks, ps pictures would be great. ideas please..

A handle? most of the setups I see, including my own use a finger spool to deploy the SMB instead of a full blow reel.
Ratchet Reels from Kent Tooling Diving Products

At which point you use a double ended clip to secure the line back to the spool, and in your case the spool is connected to the smb with the line. Then use the bungee, a bag, or the other end of the double ender to secure it to your (I assume plate?) BCD.

I don't use a bungee I use a bag to store it to the plate, but the bungee should be tight to the plate, and the smb gets squished between the bungee and the plate.

Most people I know that use a reel clip it to their butt d-ring.

I stow my SMB on a bungee to my backplate tight to my body and clip my "manta" reel when diving in the ocean to my waist D ring.

I find that pulling the SMB out and unbungeeing it is nice without the reel. Fling it open then unclip reel from waist directly to SMB. Bailout has bc connect to SMB and off she goes.

Everyone does it differently but I would practice a bunch with your setup and I would imagine you would change things as you go.

Garth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom