Reef's End Lodge Belizé

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our group is also planing on staying at Reef's End Lodge in August. I would love to hear your experiences with the resort.

I've been talking to the owner lately and he says the water is currently 75° f. We dive in the Puget Sound where the water is usually around 56° f. So much neoprene, my arms spring away from me when I reach for something on my bcd.

I definately plan on posting a follow up when I return.

We have just returned home from this fantastic dive vacation and I wanted to leave an update on the Tobacco Caye area and Reefs End Lodge.

The island is one of only a handful where you can walk off the island and snorkel, and you are only a five minute boat ride from some of the worlds most beautiful reef diving. I kid you not, it was beautiful. Eric, one of two divemasters, is patient and informative. It’s not cattle call country, so we were diving with, at most, two other divers (besides Eric). The boat driver picked them up after 30 minutes, and we continued our dives for another 30 minutes. We saw every fish, creature, and coral in “The Reef Set: Reef Fish, Reef Creature and Reef Coral” including several Spotted Eagleray, a few Hawksbill Turtles, and one Bull Shark. We saw the shark while snorkeling around 200 yards off the island. Nothing is friendly, expecting a hand-out, and the only fish that really follow you around are the Barracuda, which are by nature curious. We later dove in the San Pedro area, and the fish cruise around your head and hands waiting for food [we are not fans of fish feeding while diving].

Reefs End Lodge is nice. They have one large building and three cabanas. All of the rooms are clean and comfortable. The island uses a lot of solar power, and cisterns to collect water. On the first two nights, the cisterns were low, so the water smelled bad, but after some nice rain, the water smelled just fine. Either way, it was clean. Just a short walk away is their dining hall. Meals are served three times a day, so if you miss one…you don’t get to make it up later. There is no menu…you get what they serve you. Breakfast is the only meal with options that are placed on the table. Lunch and dinner…you get a plate with a meal already on it. All of the meals were very good, and there was a different meal served for every day we were there. A lot of traditional Belizé type food [beans and rice], plus fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice. They also have beverages for purchase such as Coke and Fanta, and there is a Bar on the island, but it’s not associated with the lodge. If you aren’t awake when breakfast is ready, but you are in your room, you will get a wrap on the door letting you know it’s ready.

There is one disadvantage to staying here. Gasoline is 9.xx per gallon BZ which is 4.50 or so US. This means that unless there are six or seven people on the dive boat asking to go to a specific location, other than local dives, you will not go. It’s too expensive for the divemaster to go to Glovers Reef, or any of the other well known dives, unless the gas is paid for, his time is paid, and the drivers time is paid. So, if you want to see those dive sites, pay for them in advance, as part of a package, and take your receipts. We didn’t find this to be a problem because we had our receipts. My personal opinion is that you won’t miss a thing if you just dive the local dives…

Not a five star hotel, but definately a five star experience!

Back
Top Bottom