Reefs,big animals, warm water in Caribbean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For my next out of the country trip I want to cater to my wife's interest (warm water, reefs, not too deep), but I would also like to have a good chance to get close to some big animals (mantas, sharks, eagles, sea lions, etc). Where in the Caribbean would be a good bet for this ? We have been to Key Largo many times and have also been to Curacao and Bonaire. Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

well you aren't going to see any sea lions in the caribbean... Utila is probably a good place to start... Some of the stuff is 60-80 feet though and much much more if you want, but it's a pretty sure spot to see some sort of whale shark, manta etc

That being said I did see a manta and a bunch of eagle rays this summer in Looe Key. Which is quite shallow and pretty easy to get to as it's close to shore.

Consider San Salvador, Bahamas, for hammerhead sharks. You might see a bunch or none, but they are there pretty much year 'round. Club Med Columbus Isle at San Salvador or Riding Rock Inn are the two options for diving there.

For my next out of the country trip I want to cater to my wife's interest (warm water, reefs, not too deep), but I would also like to have a good chance to get close to some big animals (mantas, sharks, eagles, sea lions, etc). Where in the Caribbean would be a good bet for this ? We have been to Key Largo many times and have also been to Curacao and Bonaire. Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Just not going to happen !!!!

Mantas - maybe in Tobago
Sharks - maybe in Bahamas
eagles - most places but are totally hit or miss / rays in general in the Caymans
sea lions - water is too warm will need to go to the pacific.

You might see whales sharks at certain times of the year in Belize, Utila or Holbox - these are generally snorkeling trips and again not guaranteed.

BTY = in general big stuff likes colder water - esp. sharks.

I've seen Bull Sharks on every dive on the Eagle (wreck) out of Islamorada lately. The water has cooled down, the bait has moved in and the big fish are coming in. We've seen Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo, Bull Sharks and Goliaths in 80-100 feet. They'll be here pretty much all winter.

Thanks!

What time of year?
Time of year is important when looking for big animals. Late summer (July-Aug-Sept) you may be able to snorkel with mantas and whale sharks off Holbox, Mexico (near Cancun). There is also a chance to see/dive with whalesharks off Belize and Utila in spring.

Would you consider a liveaboard?
To see sharks you usually have to go to them, away from the dayboats, unless you want to do a shark feed. Having done it both ways, there is nothing like seeing sharks swimming around you, checking you out, when there is no food in water. Really awesome experience but your best chance of doing this is from a liveaboard in Bahamas or Belize or BayIslands areas.

Why not the Pacific?
Your profile says you are in Colorado so you are just as close to Pacific diving. Big animals can be seen in Hawaii, but you are guaranteed to see sharks and mantas if you go farther, like Micronesia.

robin:D

Curacao and Bonaire are the wrong places to see big stuff. They're known for macro life.

Southern Belize has most of what you want - Whalesharks, (only specific weeks in spring after the full moon) Reef sharks, Hammerheads, Eagle Rays, occasional Mantas - no sea lions though. Afaik it's the only place in this hemisphere that you can dive with Whalesharks - at Gladden Spit - it's also 80' and blue water diving. This will give you a far better idea of what to expect than I can: Avadon Divers - Placencia, Belize -- Reef Adventures Some of the AI's on the nearby atolls also run optional $$ trips to Gladden Spit.

Caribbean Reef Sharks are almost a given at Stuart Cove's on Nassau - they feed them during daily shark dives. The sharks also hang around some of the shallower wrecks nearby during non-feed times. A lot of the dives in that area are 30-80' or so.

But I agree with Robin, they're different in the wild. Much more interesting and usually just going about their daily routine. At shark feed sites - even during non-feeds, the sharks always seem to be circling looking for a handout.

Whale shark's are snorkel only off Utila and Holbox - part of their marine park/conservation rules. I know, we did a Whale shark survey/study week at Deep Blue a couple years ago and met/dove with several experts in the area.

We saw the biggest Eagle Ray I've ever seen in my life on a night dive off French Cay in the Turks/Caicos last spring. And multiple stingrays - they often let me get within 5-10' or less. Probably a dozen barracuda and about 4-5 reef sharks on every single dive (8 of them) over two days. I must've followed one around the reef filming for about 10mins. one day. There's a 6000' wall nearby so big pelagics often feed in the shallows. Saw quite a few sharks off West Caicos wall also. In less than 60'.

Around 2004 we shore dove Grand Cayman. At Eden Rock (40' or less) a group of about 10 Eagle Rays flew over. Later that week at Turtle Reef (50' to the sand) we saw another group. There's also several hundred large tarpon that hang there during the day - I just read a recent report - they're still there. And there's Stingray City, can't get any shallower than that - 15'.

And I saw a couple big sharks off the North Wall but we were deeper - like 95-100' - and they were maybe 200' below us. The water there is ultra-clear.

We're looking at Tobago next year. It's rougher water diving but Mantas are pretty common. Manta Lodge in Speyside is one clue...lol And Hammerheads from Dec-Mar off the Sisters - a pinnacle that's about an hour (two?) from Speyside.

We often see small reef sharks off Maui - often near Molokini. In the late afternoon my buddy saw Mantas nearshore to Maui - but they didn't get close. Turtles are a given at some sites - at one of them (St. Anthony?) they sleep there.

There's also big turtles off South Kauai near Sheraton Caverns. Very rarely you might see a Monk Seal off Kauai - they're endangered and extremely protected. And there's the famous Manta night dives off Kona.

The only other warm place I know of for Seals/Sea Lions is San Pedro, a small island off San Carlos (Guaymas) MX. USAirways flies there regionally from here - it's a long weekend place - kind of a sleepy little town. There's a seal rookery there and they always hit the water as soon as your boat moors. I've had them chase me, blow bubbles while admiring themselves in my housing port, and stay just out of reach while I'm swimming nearby. It's really shallow - 20-40' near the rookery and you can actually swim right up to and chase them out of the water. Leave your snorkel and any dangly things on the boat.

I've had the good fortune to dive with Mantas and Dolphins in Grand Turk, Eagle Rays and Sharks in Belize/Roatan/BWI, big Turtles in Cozumel and St. Croix, and Whale Sharks in Playa Del Carmen. I've seen footage of Orca and Pilot Whales off Roatan, and Humpbacks west of Grand Turk. I'm not personally aware of any locale in the Caribbean where you could see sea lions.

Last edited:
For Big animals in the Carib, there are shark dives at many places now. If a live-aboard is possible for you the cocos island aggressor is amazing for hammerheads. A great place to swim with manta rays in the Big Island of Hawaii, amazing night dive with manta rays and it's an easy dive.

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses-- We're looking at mid April- early June time frame. Also, didnt mean to imply that I wanted to see all the animals on the list.. just increase my chances of seeing any and still have Caribbean conditions . My wife does not want to do a live aboard..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom