ReefNet Inc. Subsee Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So.. I'm looking around for Macro lenses for my Canon G10 w/Ikelite housing and I've only come across the Dyron options and the SubSee Adapter. The Dyron option requires a complete replacement of the Ikelite port with the Dyron port, so I don't want to go that route at this time. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ReefNet's Subsee Adapter? From the gallery on their website it looks like it is a good product, but I'm unsure about how it works. From just reading over their website it seems like its just a magnifier glass attached to a floating arm. Is this how all macro lenses are? Also does the lens float above the port? Or does it physically touch it? Any information, experiences, opinions, price estimates, set up instructions, etc. etc. on the Subsee would be much appreciated.

Hey Frank,

To answer your questions:

-The SubSee Magnifier is a dual-element achromatic lens system (corrects chromatic aberrations) and is sealed in an airspace (to maintain all of its magnification). Just like any other "wet-lenses", it allows more magnification by decreasing the lens-to-subject distance. The more powerful the lens (measured in 'diopters'), the closer you're able to get to the subject, and hence the more magnification achievable. The SubSee is a +10 diopter lens, which can achieve approximately 2.2:1 magnification when couple with a 105mm lens. Results will vary with the primary lens focal length.

-The SubSee Adapters are designed to hold the SubSee as close to the port glass as possible, WITHOUT touching it. On the WP-DC28 adapters, only one set-screw is used to hold the adapter in place, which can leave a little scratch on the port body...but this is purely an aesthetic issue.

Keri

For more information, please contact me directly.

Thanks Nemrod:wink: But I have one question. I understand that the Seatool ST-M67 Lens Adapter attaches the wet lenses to the Seatool M67 - ST Housing Adapter, but how does the housing adapter attach to the housing. It says on the reef photo website "The Seatool M67-ST Housing Adapter threads into the 67mm threads of your housing" and has pictured an Olympus port with the adapter on top / inside of it. Looking at my Ike G10 housing there doesn't appear to be any threads on the ports surface. So how is the connection achieved?

Thanks Nemrod:wink: But I have one question. I understand that the Seatool ST-M67 Lens Adapter attaches the wet lenses to the Seatool M67 - ST Housing Adapter, but how does the housing adapter attach to the housing. It says on the reef photo website "The Seatool M67-ST Housing Adapter threads into the 67mm threads of your housing" and has pictured an Olympus port with the adapter on top / inside of it. Looking at my Ike G10 housing there doesn't appear to be any threads on the ports surface. So how is the connection achieved?

Yeah I see that Frank and I guess I had a minor brain cloud. It looks to me no matter what you do you will have to fabricate some sort of homemade adapter and if that is the case, no threads, then might as well make up some type of 67mm threaded to Ike G10 port adapter. Perhaps, without knowing the exact diameter of your port, would it be possible to use an old 67mm UV filter, remove the glass, and then use it to fabricate the adapter to allow 67mm threaded items?

N

Yeah I see that Frank and I guess I had a minor brain cloud. It looks to me no matter what you do you will have to fabricate some sort of homemade adapter and if that is the case, no threads, then might as well make up some type of 67mm threaded to Ike G10 port adapter. Perhaps, without knowing the exact diameter of your port, would it be possible to use an old 67mm UV filter, remove the glass, and then use it to fabricate the adapter to allow 67mm threaded items?

N

I can work well with wood, but metal fabrication is not one of my strong points. I've got a buddy who's Dad owns a metal shop, I'm gonna see what he can do for me. Thanks for clearing that up Nemrod.

just a correction, it looks like it doesn't actually touch my port, it floats over the port, just very close.

Good to know. I was quite put off from the fact that it would physically touch my port.

Nemrood/Frank - In addition to holding the SubSee magnifier, the SubSee Adapters can also accept just about every other popular "wet-lens", when used with the appropriate "hinge-arm". So if you decide not to fabricate your own homemade port adapter, we've got them available (or can design them quickly) for almost any camera housing/port, including the Canon G10 WP-DC28, which is already in production. These adapters allow you to swing the lens out of the way, rather than having to deal with fine M67 threads.

Keri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom