reefmaster rc pics, first few rolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, I got the rest of the pics back today. I've probably got 15-20 out of 4 rolls that I'm pretty happy with. I'm OK with that. A little more work, especially working with a diffuser and getting my distance down and I'll be on my way. Please give me any feedback that may help. I think I either need to invest in a totally new camera or invest in the macro lenses for this one. I was able to get a heck of a lot closer than I ever imagined and the 3X close up just wouldn't focus close enough so I learned from that anyway. I'm using the reefmaster RC with external strobe and 200 speed FUJI film. I used the 3x close up lens most of the time but found that the 2 ft. minimum stated focus length was too close for the lens and I got a lot of blurry fish with nice, clear backgrounds. Anyway, I'm learning and would love to hear everyones feedback. You all are amazing. This underwater stuff isn't near as easy as you make it look. I did get a profile pic of a drumfish which was pretty cool but it wasn't good enough to post. Here's some of the better pics I got. Thanks in advance, Greg

Wow! Looks like you saw some great stuff during your dives!

I think you are working well with the limits that unit has to offer. And as you said, you now know what the "real" focus distance is so you should get even more keepers next time.

You will have to decide if the results you are getting with this system are good enough to meet your needs. If yes, then stick with it and learn it inside and out so you can choose the scenes that will work out best when you are underwater. No matter what system you have, there are limitations - you need to learn to work with them to get keepers.

If no, and you want to expand your options and/or move away from film then don't buy anything else for this one and use that money to move on. You might be able to use it as a backup or on-sell it to another starter. Check out the thread at the top of this board on choosing a new camera - it has some great info.

Just to let you see...check out this link...pink anemonefish

As Alcina says think about what you want to do before investing more money. I used to own a Seamaster RC so if you think you want to keep it for a while here are my tips.

The reason for staying with this camera for a while is that it is very easy to use, it just has limitations. Firstly I do advise getting the 8X and 16X macro kit. It allows you to get much closer and comes with a framer so you never get the distance wrong. When I had this camera I ended up shooting almost exclusively with these two lenses. If I had a bigger fish i would move to the 3x but never the standard lens.

Second the flash doesn't need a diffuser. What you need to do is put some black silicon around the around the lens on the housing(i cant really explain this I put a pic of what I mean when I get home). This helps a lot as it eliminates flare for light sources - really improved my shots.

Third which is very important. Shoot with 100asa film. The best I found for this camera is Kodak Daylight 100asa. This is important because like you I found over exposure was a problem with the flash so by slowing down the film this problem was solved.

Anyway I shot quite a few roles of film and liked this camera but I just really craved the instant feedback of digital. I made the learning curve much quicker and I still have photos which I love that came from my first dive with the digital.

Thanks all! I'll look for a good deal on the macro set on ebay. I tried to stay about 2ft away with the 3x lens but must had inadvertantly gotten closer as many pics were blurry. I also noticed that even though I tried to get on the same level with the fish that I was still a bit above most of them. Please, anyone, provide further suggestions as I've got a while until I dive again. I appreciate everything so far. Greg

Greg, I sent you a PM with some ideas. You're doing very well, basically. I think the camera set-up is your biggest limitation. Rob gave you some great tips but I have to agree with alcina...I'd consider an upgrade to digital if at all possible before you spend more money on the Reefmaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom