Reefmaster Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joy, I would suggest sending the camera in to our service dept. for inspection. When you call to get an RA #, needed or processing the return, Advise them of your problems and best to send all components back so we can test the exact set-up you were using, batteries and all.

Joe

I am glad to see this post. I too am having the same problem. I use energizer rechargable lithium batteries and a 1gb sandisk sd card.

I do not think Energizer makes a rechargeable Lithium battery that is AA and 1.2 to 1.5 volts. Most likely, you are using rechargable Energizer NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) that is 1.2 volts.

There are rechargeable AA Lithium Ion batteries available, but they are 3.6 volts, and could damage your camera.

Joe, I am having the same problem with my reefmaster. When I take a picture, the camera shuts off, even though 3 out of 4 battery life bars are showing.

I use Sealife recommended NiMH rechargeable batteries in my reefmaster. What is strange is that I can put in a different set of rechargeables, also with 3 out of 4 bars showing, and the camera works fine. All of my batteries are less than 2 years old, and have been recharged much less than 100 times.

What is Sealife's experience using rechargeable NiMH with the reefmaster?

AA NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts. Alkaline and Lithium AA batteries are 1.5 volts. Could the difference in voltage be an issue?

Wormzer, the Nimh should be working fine. I have heard of rechargeable systems having problems, even when new of not charging the battery completely due to a charger issue, it is not always the batteries that are bad.

If you have some down time, I would call our service center and get an RA number to return the whole thing, including your battery and charger.

hmmm - I know this is a old thread...however, I had the same problem with my reefmaster...I had used the camera and batteries for about 4 or 5 days of diving - maybe 200 pictures. I would turn the camera on, but basically when I took a pic, it would turn teh camera off after the onboard flash fired. A friend suggested the batteries were dead. Indeed new batteries seemed to resolve problem. Oddly my battery indicator wasn't low. I'm curious what happens with the camera this week. I'm leaving for cozumel on Wednesday. I'm taking some extra batteries (I use Energizer lithiums).

Rayaslin,

Since you are leaving shortly, I would suggest reloading the firmware for the camera off our website to see if this helps with the batetry meter issue.

I wish I had more for you but this could work. If you can give it a try and then get back to me.

Joe

So - now I can report to you more detail about this battery meter issue:

I dove for 5 days using lithium batteries from energizer. I got about 200 - 210 pics on them and then my battery indicator did the following - it would cycle between a battery with a X over it, then a battery with only 1 of the 'bars' missing (3/4 or 2/3 full I guess). The camera continued to take pictures in this operation.

If during this time I turned the camera off and back on - it may or may not bring the battery failing icon back up - or at least right away.

Then around 225 pictures - I turned the camera on - after 2 minutes it didn't give me the battery warning - and I took a picture - after I took the pic the camera turned itself off and didn't store the picture (like fireing the internal strobe pushed the battery over the limit, and forced a shutdown).

So I would turn the camera back on - which it would do. When I powered it back on the battery display would indicate full power - I would then take a pic, and bam same thing.

So on my SI, we stopped on the beach - so I rinsed it - let it dry - and changed out the battery. Yep - it's working again after that.

If it matters - I was using a 2 gig card - and had about 225 images stored on the card (I don't download during the week, why I use a 2 gig card)

So - here's my questions:

1) is this pretty normal? I can live with it, if it is. The battery indicator was consistent when it first started seeing the battery go down in power...it may just be something I have to keep an eye on.

2) is 225 pics on fresh energizer lithiums normal? I know regular alk are only suppose to get 100, but I thought energizer lithium are suppose to do much better, like closer to 400-500

thanks for any thoughts/advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom