ReefMaster Digital DC310

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDan368

Reaction score
Any of you pros have thoughts on this camera? I'm really interested in the video feature. It seems like a easy way to get video.

First, the DC310 is $499, which is $100 more than the DC300. For that you get extra buttons for controls on the back of the housing. My opinion is that your money would be better spent on a mainstream digital cameral like the Canon A70. The Canon is a better camera that can be bought for as low as $249 (newegg.com). A housing should cost $200 and you'll have a lot more options, including video. As far as video goes, Sealife's website does not specify if video is at 320x240 or 640x480. 320 resolution is terrible while 640x480 will look pretty nice. The Canon A70 can do 30 second clips at 640x480.

Firstly, Welcome to the board!

I would agree with DesertEagle... you would be better off buying a better camera if your intentions are to take some video as well. I believe there were other posts in this forum re: the reefmaster and how its colours are not very good.
Plus if you went with a mainstream camera you will get better above water shots... I guess my point being is that the mainstream camera will give you way better shots above and below water and would be far more versatile.

I have the DC250 ... the only difference is this is 2 Mpixel rather than 3, and the new housing can access all the buttons.

As a begining underwater camera, it has been great.... compact, easy to use, adequate quality photo's (for me).

However, the camera SUCKS above sea-level. You can get a much better land camera for $200 bucks... Of course, it couldn't go diving with me though :)

So... I still use the reefmaster underwater, but spent anothe $300 for a camera to use above.

What I really think I want is an inexpensive way to get underwater video that I can put on my computer and email to friends.

I'd throw my vote to the Canon A70 (A80 if you want 4MP)...one of my friends has one that he takes short video clips on all the time and they are great for what you are planning to do.

I used the A70 all of January and LOVE it. Never took video myself, but the photos were great (except for my limitations!) and the housing was easy and offered full control.

If video is what you're looking for then just like Alcina said you best bet would be to get a digital UW camera like the Canon A70 or another one that has the ability to take video. If you go digital it makes putting them onto your computer much much easier.
I think the words "inexpensive" and "UW video" are oxymorons... :wink:
Which ever digital camera you decide upon you can goto www.digideep.com to see what housing are available for them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom