Reefmaster DC 250 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info Dee. You've definitely given me food for thought. I'm going to check out that website you linked in your response, and, until I can afford something better I'll battle the fog in the DC 250. You'd think they could somehow "engineer" problems like that out of the design. Maybe they didn't test it a whole lot before bringing it to market. I dunno but it's a PITA!!
Did you ever use any Sealife or similar cameras before getting your present setup? :)

Yes, just like a lot of folks, I once had a Sealife Reefmaster. For snapshots it was acceptable. but I wanted better than that. When I tried to upgrade, I found out that none of the lenses or the strobe were usable on any other system so I had to start over. This is typical of the Sealife line. Since taking care of a better system was no different as far as o-ring care, batteries, etc. I moved up to S&S's MX-10, from there a full S&S MMIIexPro system and then to my current digital rig as soon as digital proved itself to me. Along the way I've used Nikonos cameras as well as housed SLR's and when everything is considered....money involved for lenses, ease of use, cost of maintenance and processing, justifying number of dive trips with cost of the system, etc., the Oly rig I have was the best choice for me. And I've been very satisfied with the results.

As for 'engineering problem out' I think the race to get acceptable digital systems on the market is a big cause of the problem. That and the customers that those cameras are aimed at want small size cameras and housing, pocketsize even. So Sealife, Canon, Sony, and a few others have given them what they want, with the problems that go along with it. When a camera goes with a bottle of defog, something tells me there's already a problem they have no answer to!

I used a 550EX (HUGE MOFO FLASH) inside my EWA housing at night... no fogging problems. The 550EX will put out a lot more heat than a P&S flash... and that really isnt that much heat. It should conduct away. Furthermore, if the camera's closed environment is heated, it will INCREASE the moisture capacity of the air in the housing which will help prevent moisture from condensing on the lens etc.

I suggest you look upon this as an opportunity... as the excuse you needed to upgrade to a better camera. :)

Actually, after much experimentation I think I've figured it out. I noticed as in my first post, that the fogging didn't occur with the external strobe, or with the flash off. I opened the housing up, and with the camera still in the housing snapped a few pics while looking through the viewfinder. I noticed that the onboard flash reflects back through the viewfinder. I used a small square of duct tape to cover the corner where the flash is reflecting and found that it no longer "fogged". Still, it's lame that you gotta use duct tape in the camera housing so I've put in a call to SeaLife as well as emailing them detailing the problem. We'll see how they handle it. I'm going on vacation in 13 days and if they can't take care of the problem before I leave, I'll just use the camera as it is until I return. oh well....DSAO AG :)

Good deal! It usually pays to have a few Do-It-Yourself genes running through your veins!

Let us know what or if Sealife responds.

I'll post again on this when sealife contacts me. I've also started looking at some of the cameras you told me about Dee. There are some "factory reconditioned" ones on ebay, and I've found the housings as well, new and used. Think it's safe to buy "reconditioned" or "pre-owned" UW cameras and housings?
Not sure myself. Have to trust the seller I guess, if they say it has never been flooded. What do you think? :)

Zerogravity once bubbled...
I'll post again on this when sealife contacts me. I've also started looking at some of the cameras you told me about Dee. There are some "factory reconditioned" ones on ebay, and I've found the housings as well, new and used. Think it's safe to buy "reconditioned" or "pre-owned" UW cameras and housings?
Not sure myself. Have to trust the seller I guess, if they say it has never been flooded. What do you think? :)

Olympus has an eBay Emporium....Click HERE to see everything they have on auction. I just bought a wide angle lens for topside pics from them. It's brand new but the corner of the bix was krinkled. I paid less than half price for it. I didn't go through these listings but there's more than 1500 to give you some ideas of prices! Reconditioned from Olympus with a US warranty, yes I would trust it. Used from ebay, I'd be asking alot of questions. Preferrable get a phone number and actually talk to them. I get a 'feeling' that way as to trusting someone or not. I know of several used C-5050/PT-15 combos sold recently were from folks who bought it and decided it was too confusing. Something like that would work. Also always check their feedback to see what kind of business they do. It's always a chance on eBay but I've dealt with more honest folks than not.

One thing about it...if the digital camera works, it was never flooded! If a PT housing was flooded, it wouldn't matter. But they are so cheap you can buy that seperatly if you need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom