Reef Status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now they don't have electricity to run the compressors yet nor do they have enough gasoline to power the boats. What gas they have, they're using for the dump trucks to remove debris from the roads and neighborhoods and for the electric company trucks to get workers around the island. Those are really the biggest priorities right now - as they should be.

Once electricity is restored to the compressor stations and gasoline is in better supply to the island, I'm sure the dive operators will be out cleaning debris off the reefs and checking for damage. Patience.

SadiesMom:
Right now they don't have electricity to run the compressors yet nor do they have enough gasoline to power the boats. What gas they have, they're using for the dump trucks to remove debris from the roads and neighborhoods and for the electric company trucks to get workers around the island. Those are really the biggest priorities right now - as they should be.

Once electricity is restored to the compressor stations and gasoline is in better supply to the island, I'm sure the dive operators will be out cleaning debris off the reefs and checking for damage. Patience.

wow...guess I sort of took for granted how much went into diving :( and clean up.. :(

Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

With all the debris and trash everywhere, I doubt anyone would want to dive out there in the near future. Just thinking of all the organic wastes alone is gross.

I read on a board that the shallower reefs were almost destroyed, they said "nothing to see anymore."

shuurltt:
I read on a board that the shallower reefs were almost destroyed, they said "nothing to see anymore."

I don't know where that information could have come from, other than speculation. All the information I have seen in here and elsewhere indicates that no one is diving there yet.

shuurltt:

Almost destroyed, nothing to see....hmmm...no one's been diving yet? I'd venture to think SOMEONE'S been diving, to see the reef life...It is their livliehood.

Cozoholic:
Almost destroyed, nothing to see....hmmm...no one's been diving yet? I'd venture to think SOMEONE'S been diving, to see the reef life...It is their livliehood.

But that's speculation. According to all I've read, the concentration is on onshore repairs at this time, and there's no juice to run the compressors. There's been nothing in here about anyone diving yet.

With all the wave action that occurred along the west shore, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of shallower sites were scraped clean, but that's speculation, too. ;^)

I do know that before Gilbert there were a lot more fans and sponges out behind Caribe Blu (then La Perla) than there ever have been since.

Cozoholic:
Apparently Aldora went diving yesterday but hasn't posted on their website yet.

It's too early to tell... remember the report of The Barracuda Hotel which was supposedly in ruins? As can be seen in photos it is still standing. Don't believe everything you read.

Is there going to be damage to the reefs? Almost certainly, but let's wait 'til the proffesionals do their report instead of listening to the armchair doomsayers.

Moodiejeff:
Apparently Aldora went diving yesterday but hasn't posted on their website yet.

It's too early to tell... remember the report of The Barracuda Hotel which was supposedly in ruins? As can be seen in photos it is still standing. Don't believe everything you read.

Is there going to be damage to the reefs? Almost certainly, but let's wait 'til the proffesionals do their report instead of listening to the armchair doomsayers.

I was actually getting ready to post the above :wink:
I read that - Aldora....I'd just like to know the extent...coz will never be the same :( VERY SAD...

Back
Top Bottom