Reef-Rider vs 5 Oceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I will be getting my first BC soon and my eye has fallen on the Aeris Reef-Rider. Mainly i love the fit, the wing design is awesome.
But now i have also seen the Aeris 5 Oceans BC, it looks like the reef rider but from what i can see in pictures (my dealer can order it but does not have it in stock) it looks stronger and put together better than the reef-rider BC.

The 5 Oceans will cost more, but is it worth the extra cash?

I have a 5 Oceans BC and I love it. Haven't tried the Reef rider so I can't really give you a solid comparison, However from the images I have seen, I don't think I like the weight pouch with the zipper. I'm a fan of weights that can be easily dumped in an emergency.

This is just from a glance at images though. In the end, talk to your LDC and ask there.

What I like about the 5 Oceans is it fits well into any bag, very lightweight and streamlined. Back inflates can be a little tricky to use at first, mostly when you are on the surface. But once you deflate and go down, 5 Oceans is your best friend! A great BC, well worth the price in my opinion!

I own 5 Oceans and liked it a lot for my first 80 or so dives. I still own it and might keep it (tempting to sell it!) but I switched to BP/w and I fell in love with it and will not go back.

You can't beat the Reef Rider for the price. I have one and I like it. Sure, I wouldn't mind having metal d-rings and a big more study look, but given that you can get it for a third of the price of the 5-Oceans, I don't think you could go wrong.

i bought a oceans 5 when they come out have made about 100 dives with it been to bonaire with it and going to costa rica it is going with me .and bought on for my wife.she loves it

I own a 5 Oceans and really enjoy it. The only complaint I have had so far is the length of the inflator control. I find it to be a little shorter than I like. So, I am in the process of swapping it out for a longer one. Other than that I have had zero complaints. I can't speak for the reef rider personally, but a friend just switched from it to a 5 Oceans and has stated that he refers the 5 Oceans over his old BC.

We've sold a few 5 Oceans BCD's. Everyone that purchased one has nothing but good things to say about it.

I own a reef rider, i love it, as for dumping the weights, the weights go in the top threw the zipper, and release threw the bottom with quick release clips. I've only made a few dives with it, but i like it very well.

We've sold a few 5 Oceans BCD's. Everyone that purchased one has nothing but good things to say about it.

Hmmm...I bought a 5 Oceans online, probably a little sooner than I should have. [I wanted it for my OW certification]. So far I've only used it on half-a-dozen dives.

It's sturdy and well-made, but I agree that the inflator hose is rather short. Also...it has NO POCKETS, which I really dislike [and it wasn't mentioned by the online vendor]. I'd very much prefer pockets to store things like a light, a slate, a signal sausage, etc.

I'd recommend you look at BCDs [and other fitted gear] first hand if at all possible rather than in pictures...

Hmmm...I bought a 5 Oceans online, probably a little sooner than I should have. [I wanted it for my OW certification]. So far I've only used it on half-a-dozen dives.

It's sturdy and well-made, but I agree that the inflator hose is rather short. Also...it has NO POCKETS, which I really dislike [and it wasn't mentioned by the online vendor]. I'd very much prefer pockets to store things like a light, a slate, a signal sausage, etc.

I'd recommend you look at BCDs [and other fitted gear] first hand if at all possible rather than in pictures...

Well, I dove one today for myself. I don't care too much about the pockets because I really dont use them all that much although there is one drop-down pocket on it. The thing I wish they'd do is put D-Rings on it instead of the fabric loops and a caribiner.

I did like the vest, it's light and feels like it's not even there. I found with some weight in the rear trim pockets it wasn't trying to push me face down and was quite comfortable on the surface. The inflator hose does seem to sit higher but I got use to it pretty quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom