Reef Master DC 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking for opinions about the Reef Master DC300 camera with housing. I will be using it in shallow clear water. I do not need anything too fancy, I would prefer a simple point and shot.

The one I am looking at is used, rated for 200' and they are asking $100. Has anyone ever used one of these? If you feel this is not a good camera what would you suggest along the same lines of a simple point & shot and around the same price?

If the camera itself works this is a good little item. I have one with the strobe. The unit with the strobe originally retailed for over 700. I got mine new old stock for 375. The camera itself is a 3.2 mega pixel vivitar like this:

Vivitar ViviCam 3715 3.3 MP Digital Camera - Silver 0019643600829 | eBay

So you can get replacements cheap! All sealife did was change some of the icons on the lens. Added a fish under the mountain on the land version and made the case black instead of silver. It works well as a P&S but the camera flash is a little weak for anything but macro stuff. I have taken over 800 photos with mine to depths of 140 feet with no housing issues. You should be able to find o rings as well for it. The camera itself seems to like sd cards up to 512 meg. bigger than that I have not tried. The battery door you need to be careful with as the hinge is ok but not going to take a lot of abuse. Battery life is pretty good. In Bonaire I got around 150 shots on 2 double AA duracells. The Strobe though is another story. Not a fast recycle and 30 shots or so and it needs new batts. I'm going to try higher rated lithium rechargeables for it.

There is a new one on ebay here to compare with SeaLife ReefMaster DC300 Underwater Digital Camera NEW | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom