Reef Hook - where do I buy the 'hook'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to build-up my own reef hook - just like the one Sam's in Palau uses.

Problem - I can't find the 'hook'. No luck at HD.

Where' s a man go to buy a good 'hook', as in 'reef' ?

I want to build-up my own reef hook - just like the one Sam's in Palau uses.

Problem - I can't find the 'hook'. No luck at HD.

Where' s a man go to buy a good 'hook', as in 'reef' ?
If you are building your own, build your own hook as well. I'm a 325 lb guy with lots of drag, and I fashion mine from 1/4" .056" wall 316 stainless tubing like you'd find a mile of in any fill station (dive shop). You might have to borrow a tube bender, and you might consider taking it to a weld shop and having the loop closed with a bead of weld.

If you are building your own, build your own hook as well. I'm a 325 lb guy with lots of drag, and I fashion mine from 1/4" .056" wall 316 stainless tubing like you'd find a mile of in any fill station (dive shop). You might have to borrow a tube bender, and you might consider taking it to a weld shop and having the loop closed with a bead of weld.

There you go - this is the advise I needed. The commercial hooks are just to flimsy/cheap.

Thanks, buddy.

SS 316 stainless rod stock from grainger is another option. you can get a foot of it to make a double hook or a big single hook with attachment loop.

hook.png

Thanks, maybe a bit too much? Not quite sure how a diver would secure this bad boy.

Surely, the Rangers clambering up Pointe du Hoc might have used such a beast?

Back
Top Bottom