Reef Hook for Cebu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwafflesauce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I went to Komodo, I severely regretted not bringing a reef hook or at least an aluminum pointer (tickle stick). I don't anticipate the currents being like Komodo, but would these be advised for diving around Malapascua, Moalboal or Dumaguete?

I've used a pointer stick plenty around Dumaguete - I actually bought mine my first time there after the first dives, as did pretty much everyone in our group. Like threw my gear in the rinse tank and went into the dive shop to buy one, if that tells you anything. :) I don't recall if I used it much around Moalboal. I don't think I used my hook either place, wasn't the right tool for most dives there. (Though in hindsight can think of a couple times it would have been good to have on me.) I think it makes sense to take both anyplace with a possibility of currents in that region and be prepared for whatever the local conditions turn out to be.

When I went to Komodo, I severely regretted not bringing a reef hook or at least an aluminum pointer (tickle stick). I don't anticipate the currents being like Komodo, but would these be advised for diving around Malapascua, Moalboal or Dumaguete?

I've dived Malapascua and Cebu (Mactan) area, currents were mostly mild. Nothing like what you would encounter in Komodo. A reef hook would be way overkill except for unusual dive sites. The pointer might be useful depending on your diving style. I've never needed one in those locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom