Question Reef hook: bolt snap or carabiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having used them quite a lot in sailing, they can be annoying to use, especially one-handed. You often need a strong, decisive pull. Also, with gloves it would be hard to pull that ring, so you would have to tie on a string, which again increases risk of it coming lose if the string gets trapped. Personally I'd prefer a bolt snap + a way of cutting in a possible emergency.

I understand the issues, however the forces involved on the shackle are much higher when sailing.

what about one of those cool push button release buckles like they use in race cars or fighter jets?

I'd call that a double ender just to avoid confusion.
OK, Double Ended Bolt snap.
Hence the photo to avoid confusion.
A swivel bolt snap did work, but prefer the double ended [bolt snap].

It is a major safety issue to sell DPV,s with this crappy tow harness crotch strap using a bolt snap . I have been observing this set up for the past 25 years and will now voice my opinion , please use a snap
shackle which can release under load .

IT

Adding to your last comment, I have a line cutter (which should cut my DSMB reel line/my webbing) but my reef hook comes with a much thicker line. I don't think my line cutter could cut off my reef hook in an emergency, is that a big issue?
I'm not sure what line cutter you are using. But a trilobite will slice 1/2" anchor line with ease and can cut through 3/4" line by slowly working around it. I don't think you will have a large enough line on your reef hook to defeat one unless you are using some type of dyneema cord. That stuff is awesome for certain applications, diving isn't one of them.

It is a major safety issue to sell DPV,s with this crappy tow harness crotch strap using a bolt snap . I have been observing this set up for the past 25 years and will now voice my opinion , please use a snap
shackle which can release under load .
Why?

Having used them quite a lot in sailing, they can be annoying to use, especially one-handed. You often need a strong, decisive pull. Also, with gloves it would be hard to pull that ring, so you would have to tie on a string, which again increases risk of it coming lose if the string gets trapped. Personally I'd prefer a bolt snap + a way of cutting in a possible emergency.
The pic is of a one handed "panic snap." Twist releases under load. That said, the idea that a bolt snap will drag you around (aka can't be released under load) on an out of control scooter is ridiculous. Sufficient lack in the leash is easy to create by just pulling on the leash-you need about 1/4"

Attachments

• 51RT6Z0gtaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    51RT6Z0gtaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 60
I am heading to Raj. Ampat in April i googled tooke reef hook and didnt see it for sale. Would you suggest single or double hook and what length should the rope be. Is the spring type coil known to be a problem or was that divers experience a fluke

I am heading to Raj. Ampat in April i googled tooke reef hook and didnt see it for sale. Would you suggest single or double hook and what length should the rope be. Is the spring type coil known to be a problem or was that divers experience a fluke
I like the single hook because I find it easier and more secure than trying to find a solid placement for a double hook. I use this on a spool of 1/16" spliced Dyneema. The 1/16" Dyneema has a tensile strength of 500 lbs and is spliced (no loss of strength from knots). 35' of line fits on a small spool which fits easily in a pocket and, best of all, can be reeled up much faster/cleaner than using a chain sinnet or other reefing method. 35' is more than enough to get up into the water column and the spool allows for using the exact amount of line. I prefer to attach it using a double ender on a shoulder D ring instead of a scooter ring because I can lay out better in current that way.

It can also double as a DSMB deployment line.

I avoid spring type coils since they're limited in length, single purpose, create danglies, can't be tied off/neatly stowed, fail and are dumb.

Attachments

• Reef Hook.jpg
    Reef Hook.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Blue Corner December 2018.jpg
    Blue Corner December 2018.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 55
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom