Reef Depth on Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in the Riviera Maya in February and our deepest dive was 88 feet - but that was the bottom of a wreck (mama Vina). On 4 other dives we were under 50 feet. One dive we went to 82 feet but only because one guy couldn't clear his ears and we missed the dive spot (that's a whole 'nother story).

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya which is about 30 minutes south of Playa.

Dianne

I had pretty good dives betwen 40 ~ 50 ft in Cancun. Night dives were around 40ft. Saw plenty of life including Eagle Rays, Turtles, Eel, etc.... I thought the night dive and wreck dives were amazing! For the convenience of getting to Cancun, the diving is great. I dove in Cozumel & Belize in Dec 07. Cozumel visibility is incredible, but it is another 4 hours total from Cancun, so I preferred to dive in Cancun this time.

Cozumel visibility is incredible, but it is another 4 hours total from Cancun, so I preferred to dive in Cancun this time.

Huh? 4 Hours? Just wondering how you arrived at that number?

You can comfortably get from Cancun to Cozumel in 2 hours.

That would have to be with precision timing and no traffic on 307... The best I've done in many trips is just under 3hrs, and that's from the Cancun airport with a ride waiting for me, not coming from the Cancun hotel zone.

For various reasons that I prefer not to go into, I need to stay above 70 feet or so. Are the reefs that are accessible from the mainland shallower than 70 feet, or are they Coz depths -- 90 plus?

Just got back from there last saturday. Max depth we hit was 74' with most in the 40-50' range. We went out with Dive Aventuras, great group of people. Definately do the Cenotes, they were the best dives of the trip.

Huh? 4 Hours? Just wondering how you arrived at that number?
I meant 4 hours as round trip from Cancun--> Couzumel --> Cancun.

Back
Top Bottom