Reef and Marine Life in Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Happy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of visiting Ambergris Caye in October. Just wondering how are the reef and marine life? The reason Im asking is because some people has been telling me that there are runoffs and viz is not that great comparing to Atolls and further out. I will have small kids with me and that's the reason we cant visit any off the Atolls. Also, any one can recommend a place to stay that good with toodlers? with a nice clean beach not too far from San Pedro?

Anyone been there lately that can comment? Also, what kinda weather around october..

Thank you in advance..
Nat

The outer atolls are certainly superior with regard to aquatic life and visability, but the barrier reef off Ambergris is also very nice. Although the shallower parts of the reef (30ft) are a bit beat up from the wave action, the deeper areas, 60-100ft are very nice. The I think the areas of the reef just outside of Hol Chan are exceptional. I've usually been in March, visability was good, 60-100 ft, unless the winds were really whipping up the swells.

San Pedro is a great place to take kids. Although most beaches are a bit marginal for wading and swimming, "Banyan Bay" has a really nice one. Likewise the beaches near Ramon's and the Sunbreeze are pretty good. All 3 of these resorts have nice pools where the kids will likely spend most of their time.

Thinking of visiting Ambergris Caye in October. Just wondering how are the reef and marine life? The reason Im asking is because some people has been telling me that there are runoffs and viz is not that great comparing to Atolls and further out. I will have small kids with me and that's the reason we cant visit any off the Atolls. Also, any one can recommend a place to stay that good with toodlers? with a nice clean beach not too far from San Pedro?

Anyone been there lately that can comment? Also, what kinda weather around october..

Thank you in advance..
Nat

I am very confused. Who told you that you can't take small children to the Atolls?
Lots of people take kids to Ambergris. Maybe there is an island that is adults only but I have never heard that. Anyone?

robin:D

yakivet, Thank you very much for the input, but I assume you can still take a boat trip out to the outer Atolls correct? It will just take a full day trip if we based our stay on Ambergris.

Robint, I was refering to the outer atolls like Turneffe, Glover, Lighthouse.. From what I've read, the kids has to be a certain age for some resort because it's alil more remote.

Nat

I haven't heard that about age restrictions on the atolls. I do think you'd need to be very sure there was enough to keep them interested, mind. There is one small caye in the south of Belize, not on an atoll, which I hear good reports of for youngsters (amongst others) - Thatch Caye. Perhaps the manager will come on here.

The barrier reef isn't as spectacular as the atoll reefs and there aren't so many bright colours, but it's in better condition than many other reefs worldwide. That's the case off Ambergris Caye - I understand that off Caye Caulker, 15 miles to the south, there have been problems with run-off and the reef isn't as good. For diving that wouldn't affect you as the boats from there (and everywhere) take you to the best sites available within reach.

Yakivet has a young child and knows what he's talking about when it comes to beaches, though funnily enough he often chooses to stay at a resort (a set of condos, really) that doesn't have a beach at all but just a sea wall. That's because it has a lovely pool and a peaceful ambience. Don't forget that there's no such thing as a private beach here. A lot depends on the inclinations of the child though - if your's expect entertainment to be thrust at them all the time then possibly Belize isn't the ideal spot.

Thatch Caye welcomes families and young children. I am the manager and my wife and I have a two year old baby and one on the way. There are often other kids out here too, since the workers can bring their kids out for weekends to visit.The workers here all have lots of experience with kids and know how to babysit them and keep them occupied. We don't mind getting a worker to help babysit if needed as long as we know ahead of time what to expect. We don't have beaches like Cayman or Cancun but we do have small beaches, lots of kayaks, and several great swimming and snorkelling areas around the caye.

October is not the best month to visit Belize yet it is actually better than December and January a lot of the time. October can be a rainy month (but we have close to a six month rainy season here, so it's hit or miss on that one most of the time) and October is pretty much the peak of hurricane activity in the western Caribbean. If anything is brewing nearby, Belize will probably get some effect even if it is just a lack of trade wind breeze from a hurricane somewhere else stealing all of our air. That is also why October can sometimes get a little buggy. But December and January give us cold fronts that are nothing like what one thinks of when one envisions the sunny Caribbean. They turn the sky a dreary grey color that lasts for several days and often the seas get very rough and the temperatures get into the low 70's which is fine for people coming from a deep winter, but is marginal for tropical weather lovers.

So, to sum up, expect some rain showers and not as much breeze as other months, but also expect nice warm temperatures (the sea is like bath water during October here). Visibility is good then, but not as good as the dry season months, although at least 60 to 70 foot visibility can be expected in October and often more than that. Atoll trips can be done from San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and right here at Thatch Caye. I also think that most atoll resorts don't have age limitations, but since they are all heavy diving and fishing operations out there, they also don't have much to do for kids so they get bored easily.

I believe there are more things to do for the Kids to do on Ambergris, but what are there ages? My wife and I have traveled with our daughter for the last 4 years. She's now 8. Twice We've stayed at Paradise Villas, the condo's that Peter Jones (peterbj7) of Protech mentioned. Not much for beach but a great pool and close for walking to the town eateries and supermarket. I'd still rent a golfcart though. Its half the fun. They've got kitchens so you may cook "in" if you choose.

Its easy to plan day trips to the Atolls. ---Just expensive. You can also do day trips to the mainland to tour the Mayan ruins, go cave tubing, etc. but your kids may be a bit young for the long day involved. Maybe take a babysitter? I don't know how long you are plannning on staying, but you might consider breaking up the trip to spend some time on Ambergris and some time somewhere else. It certainly sounds like the new resort on Thatch Caye would be pretty accomodating. I hope to visit there on a split trip soon. Let me know if you've got any other Q's. Take care, and have a happy 4th. :42: :42: Ken

PS: If you end up on Ambergris, all our diving has been with Protech and we've been extremely pleased. He'll work with small groups and provide you with attentive personal service. It's pretty to reach Peter from this board.

I live on Ambergris Caye and think you should take a look at Belize Legacy Resort for a great beach for toddlers. They have lots of inflatables and water toys and a very clean safe beach in addition to nice units complete with kitchens. It is about 7 miles north of San Pedro but with good boat transportation.

Peterbj7, Thatch Caye Belize, Yakivet, Casa Pokey

Thank you all for the info and comments! The kids are 1 and 3 year olds.. It's very hard to find a good dive spot, land excursions and resort with the young ones, mainly the 1 year old. We may have look for somewhere else because we dont want to risk hitting the storm season with the kids.. I will look further into all the info everyone has provided..

Thank you again,
Nat

I'm really enjoying this site .
very cool . don't know why i haven't been visiting more often.
Mr. Happy, I think you would enjoy Ambergris Caye most.
I see kids at the marine reserve all the time Shark ray alley is a blast for kids even if they just look from the boat they see sharks and more often than not a resident turtle.
The boat ride is 15 min. from most hotels on the island and doesn't cross open ocean to get there.
all the boats are covered to protect the little one from the sun and everyone seems to accommodate the toddlers.
Ambergris also has a Glassbottom Boat tour. Its comfortable to kids and older people.

Back
Top Bottom