redundant gas supply for rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tired debate so I'll just give you my suggestion:

30CF bottle mounted upside down, on the right side, with a Highland Mills band, regular length hose, and a pressure gauge. Shift lead to offset the roll tendency.

--Matt

I've been reading all of the posts re: the pony vs. doubles debate and I agree that doubles are really the ultimate safety option (redundancy and access to the most gas). But I wonder if a pony is still MY best option. Here's my theory: (1) I still dive wet (although I might look into a drysuit in the fall); (2) I dive a HP steel 120, which gives me plenty of gas for the type of diving I plan on doing (shallow shore dives, wrecks between 60-100 fsw, quarry diving -- nothing even close to deco/tech diving); (3) I want to bring (i.e. ship) a pony with me on trips to the carribbean.

I was thinking about a 19 mounted onto my tank or a 30 slung. I'm leaning toward the 19 because it will be out of the way. The price of the tank isn't bad, but the regulator hurts. I'd like to avoid having three second stages on my gear -- is it ok to just buy a new first stage for the pony and transfer my existing octo to the pony?

Thanks@!

ClassAction:
I've been reading all of the posts re: the pony vs. doubles debate and I agree that doubles are really the ultimate safety option (redundancy and access to the most gas). But I wonder if a pony is still MY best option. Here's my theory: (1) I still dive wet (although I might look into a drysuit in the fall); (2) I dive a HP steel 120, which gives me plenty of gas for the type of diving I plan on doing (shallow shore dives, wrecks between 60-100 fsw, quarry diving -- nothing even close to deco/tech diving); (3) I want to bring (i.e. ship) a pony with me on trips to the carribbean.

I was thinking about a 19 mounted onto my tank or a 30 slung. I'm leaning toward the 19 because it will be out of the way. The price of the tank isn't bad, but the regulator hurts. I'd like to avoid having three second stages on my gear -- is it ok to just buy a new first stage for the pony and transfer my existing octo to the pony?

Thanks@!

Don't see what diving wet would have to do with it - you are already using a heavy steel tank (and that's another often heard debate). The 19and reg will add another 4-5#. But you arre already going to get one for the Carribean anyways - where there is less need for one because you are unlikely to experience cold water free flows.

You could put an H-valve on your 120 - but you gotta be able to reach the knobs.

rjchandler:
Don't see what diving wet would have to do with it - you are already using a heavy steel tank (and that's another often heard debate). The 19and reg will add another 4-5#. But you arre already going to get one for the Carribean anyways - where there is less need for one because you are unlikely to experience cold water free flows.

You could put an H-valve on your 120 - but you gotta be able to reach the knobs.

Even with my 120, I still have plenty of ditchable weight (I'm a big guy). I wouldn't go to doubles wet -- just seems to dangerous.

I'm not 100% sure that I need one for the carribean. Just had a bad random buddy experience and wanted to have some additional margin of safety in the future.

ClassAction:
Matt: Mounted upside down on the tank? Or BP?

The original poster was referring to a BC setup. If that is the case I suggest a pony tank mounted upside down on the main tank with a band. With the tank upside down the diver can easily reach the valves if necessary.

--Matt

matt_unique:
The original poster was referring to a BC setup. If that is the case I suggest a pony tank mounted upside down on the main tank with a band. With the tank upside down the diver can easily reach the valves if necessary.

--Matt
A diver should be able to rach any valve if necessary. How the heck would you hear a valve leaking if it's down by your southern end anyway?

Big-t-2538:
A diver should be able to rach any valve if necessary. How the heck would you hear a valve leaking if it's down by your southern end anyway?

Unless it was a major failure - like a blown high pressure hose - you probably would not hear it. But of course you would be able to see bubbles.

--Matt

Big-t-2538:
To be honest, the pony debate has been around for some time...and it's readily evident on this board.

MY personal feeling are that pony's are useless. I just don't see the benefits of a pony outweighing their cost. First, you need a tank & valve. Second, you need another reg. Third, you need an SPG you can trust and read while u/w. Fourth, you need to maintain the bottle and reg just like you do the rest of your gear. Now...once you have all that, you have to adjust to diving with a slung pony and using it. Mind you this will also make your profile in the water bigger, thus your drag will increase, and you'llbe working harder u/w...all to carry gas that you can't use inless it's an emergency.

After all that, then people generally say a 19 cu ft. tank is plenty. What??? all that $$$ & work for only 19 cu ft. of gas...that I might use 1 time? How much would it cost to get a second tank and double up your current setup with an isolator manifold and essentially double the amount of gas you carry? Which IMO is a more reliable redundant system. Why? B/c the extra gas that you get, you can use. Yes, you will probably work harder with doubles, but there will be a benefit....Increased Bottom time b/c your gas supply is larger.

If you decide to get a pony, please make sure it's well maintained, practiced with so you're proficent with it in an emergency, and big enough to get your butt back to the surface. Think about how much gas you would need to reserve for a 100' dive making the proper safety stops and ascent rates when your panicked.

-T

Of course you have to have and maintain an extra tank, reg...etc. Diving is not the cheapest sport around. However, the potential benefit is worth more than without. I'm not sure what the raging debate about ponies is all about. I'm not worried about admitting that I take a pony with me. There's nothing better about pony-less people over with-pony people. Sneeches with stars on their bellies are just as good as those sneeches without... I often use a 30cf sling bottle, and do not find that I have sooooooo much drag. I can still get a good hour (or more depending on depth) with my pony along. I have learned how to balance myself and not get out of whack. Again, it boils down to whatever turns your crank. There is nothing inherently bad about diving with a pony. There is nothing inherently bad about diving without a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom