Redbird Subway Cars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be in NYC October 7-11 and we are bringing our drysuits to do some diving while we are there. I really want to go out Friday the 8th or Sat the 9th to dive the subway cars. Which subway dive site would be the closest to NYC with a dive boat operator willing to go there? I have looked a several websites but come up with mostly Delaware and New Jersey. The New Jersey Diversion II is booked for a private trip October 9th. I road the cars when I was a kid and I was hoping to drag my dad out with us on the boat for moral support. We will have two divers, Instructor and a Divemaster with more than 300 dives each. Possibly one to two non-divers and we are even considering a private charter boat. I have also read on the http://www.surfaceinterval.com website that the diving is not that great on the subway cars. If anyone can enlighten me on the pros or cons of the subway car diving I would appreciate it. I noticed a lot of you dive Dutch Springs but I do that type of diving year around here in Texas. I am looking for some bigger wrecks and could use a suggestion or two on big wrecks accessible by boat near NYC. We are staying in Manhatten but can certainly rent a car for day. Thanks for any input I get .
Debra - a Texas Swamp Diver

Debraw:
I will be in NYC October 7-11 and we are bringing our drysuits to do some diving while we are there. I really want to go out Friday the 8th or Sat the 9th to dive the subway cars. Which subway dive site would be the closest to NYC with a dive boat operator willing to go there? I have looked a several websites but come up with mostly Delaware and New Jersey. The New Jersey Diversion II is booked for a private trip October 9th. I road the cars when I was a kid and I was hoping to drag my dad out with us on the boat for moral support. We will have two divers, Instructor and a Divemaster with more than 300 dives each. Possibly one to two non-divers and we are even considering a private charter boat. I have also read on the http://www.surfaceinterval.com website that the diving is not that great on the subway cars. If anyone can enlighten me on the pros or cons of the subway car diving I would appreciate it. I noticed a lot of you dive Dutch Springs but I do that type of diving year around here in Texas. I am looking for some bigger wrecks and could use a suggestion or two on big wrecks accessible by boat near NYC. We are staying in Manhatten but can certainly rent a car for day. Thanks for any input I get .
Debra - a Texas Swamp Diver

Personally, I would forget the subway cars. I am not sure if NJ got any of them, but I know for sure NY did not.
Diving out of NY there are lots of great wrecks. If you are going to be in "The City" (as we call Manhattan), Sheepshead Bay would not be too much of a haul.
Check out Jenne II Jenne II dive boat

You might also want to check out the following link, the Eastern Dive Boat Association. EDBA . It lists many boats in the area who are members and their contact numbers.

I am going to make my reservations with the Jeanne II for October 9. I think that one looks great. Thanks a lot for the information.

this is a great link which list most of the popular wrecks. nj diver . non of my friends nor i have been on any rail cars. tanks and apc's yes, but no subway cars. im guessing if that was a good dive there would be more buzz but wont say either way without personal experience. as far as a charter you seem to have enough people to charter a small dive boat. 6 paying passenger or a six pack would be the cheapest. the link above list many of them and their contacts. good call on the quarry. this area is commonly reffered to as Wreck Valley for a reason. to many wrecks and too much history to spend your limited time in a local quarry. enjoy your visit and let us know how your dives went.

That is a great site! I found it the other day when I was looking around for information. It actually overwhelmed me and that's when I figured I would try and look for some information here! I am going to go and do the USN 127 wreck with the Jenne II thanks to Deep Lou's suggestion. Thanks for the input!

Oops

Debraw:
That is a great site! I found it the other day when I was looking around for information. It actually overwhelmed me and that's when I figured I would try and look for some information here! I am going to go and do the USN 127 wreck with the Jenne II thanks to Deep Lou's suggestion. Thanks for the input!

Tell Capt Bill that Lou from Long Island Divers Association sent you. He knows me more by face than name. He is familiar with the association and many of its most active members.

Have a good trip, let us know how it goes.

DEEPLOU:
Tell Capt Bill that Lou from Long Island Divers Association sent you. He knows me more by face than name. He is familiar with the association and many of its most active members.

Have a good trip, let us know how it goes.

Thanks Deep Lou. I will post a trip report. My father says we will have no trouble getting out to Pier 5 and he is coming along for the ride. Let's hope the weather holds and all will be good. I love Texas but I can't wait to get back to the city for my fix. I was born in Bayridge, Brooklyn and raised in Manhatten. It's pretty cool to be able to go back and dive and see the other side of New York...., underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom