Red Sea Airport rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielRJones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At the start of October me and the wife are off to the red sea on a LOB for a week. as we have 2 tanks the are in need of Hydro and no diving planned between now and then I have decided to pack our suitcases ready.
I am after advise on the following items.
1. has anyone been recently and have experience in carrying batteries for torches (18650s)
2. do i need to remove batteries from all electronics
3. what do you normally take on hold/carry on
4. are tanks DIN or A-clamp

Thanks in advance

18650 batteries are lithium batteries. They need to be carefully packed. I usually place them in battery cases (spares) and in carryon luggage for the lights which they supply power. This should answer 1 and 2.

For #3: I take my regulator, mask, dive computer and camera along with minor toiletries.

For #4: I believe they are K valves (non-DIN) although some carry DINs.

Enjoy your trip.

18650 batteries are lithium batteries. They need to be carefully packed. I usually place them in battery cases (spares) and in carryon luggage for the lights which they supply power. This should answer 1 and 2.

For #3: I take my regulator, mask, dive computer and camera along with minor toiletries.

For #4: I believe they are K valves (non-DIN) although some carry DINs.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks.

#4 check with the LOB. I am doing one with Emperor in November, and they have this in their FAQ:

All Emperor and Tekstreme tanks are fitted with 5/8's DIN valves. We strongly advise divers with M26 regulators to note that when travelling outside Europe tanks with M26 valves or adapters to fit M26 regulators to 5/8's DIN tanks may not be available. These adapters cannot be purchased in countries such as Africa, Asia, etc and we have limited stocks available for rent. Please remember to either bring your own adapter with you or check with us regarding availability at the time of booking.

Of course, if you have DIN and carry a yoke adapter you will not have an issue.

Check with the airline AND the airport authorities, try to get a written (email) reply. Various lithium batteries are treated differently, the quantity and capacity are counted, and sometimes they are allowed IN a device but not separately. The rules and criteria have changed a number of times, and are likely to keep changing. And then of course if there are any "incidents" or warnings...they are up in the air again. No pun intended.

But I'd strongly suggest checking with all parties, and take a printout of their reply with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom