Red Flags or Misplaced Expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would send some questions to BoulderJohn here.
Or he could call me.

Assuming I am right in identifying the shop you are talking about, a lot has changed since I worked there. Some of the people I knew are still there. but most are people I don't know. The people who I know were, IMO, top notch, dedicated individuals, and I am surprised by what I read here.

What you describe is not remotely typical of the local dive industry. I have never experienced anything like it in either of the two shops where I worked, including (I assume) the one you describe.

Why it is sometimes better to get your AI/Instructor certs from a full time "instructor college", a shop that specialized in doing those courses.
It is certainly not popular to say something like this on ScubaBoard, I tend to agree. A while ago, I was part of a team that certified a new DM, and he was a typical new DM. He went off to a Caribbean IDC "factory" to get instructor certified and came back a totally different diver. Do 4 dedicated instructional dives a day for a month, and that can happen.

I think it’s a case of misplaced expectations. If you’re nearing retirement age you’re a young boomer or a old Gen X-er. We answer the phone, respond to texts and emails, and even write letters if absolutely necessary and appropriate.

The younger folks aren’t very interested in communication like we are. They usually do face to face just fine, but I see some folks phones with 2500 unread emails and their voicemail is full. It personally makes me twitch, but it’s often how it is, and there isn’t much you can do about it.

I think it’s a case of misplaced expectations. If you’re nearing retirement age you’re a young boomer or a old Gen X-er. We answer the phone, respond to texts and emails, and even write letters if absolutely necessary and appropriate.

The younger folks aren’t very interested in communication like we are. They usually do face to face just fine, but I see some folks phones with 2500 unread emails and their voicemail is full. It personally makes me twitch, but it’s often how it is, and there isn’t much you can do about it.
I think hiring is going to be a really interesting experience for me when I open my dive center.....

I think hiring is going to be a really interesting experience for me when I open my dive center.....
It’s the main Reason we sold Spree, aside from we found a buyer.

Why it is sometimes better to get your AI/Instructor certs from a full time "instructor college", a shop that specialized in doing those courses.
I don't know. The colleges have the same BS spiel.
The system is set up this way and relies on a constant influx of fresh suckers that are willing to 'invest' money these plasic cards.
There not telling the people that they'll be working for 4 bucks an hours in their dream career.

Or he could call me.

Assuming I am right in identifying the shop you are talking about, a lot has changed since I worked there. Some of the people I knew are still there. but most are people I don't know. The people who I know were, IMO, top notch, dedicated individuals, and I am surprised by what I read here.

What you describe is not remotely typical of the local dive industry. I have never experienced anything like it in either of the two shops where I worked, including (I assume) the one you describe.
What do people make there per hour or per class roughly? And what's the baseline cost to be an instructor with PADI fees and the insurance you would need?

Thanks, @boulderjohn Text message sent.

I did not seek to get into dive instruction with the expectation of making much money. I taught skiing for over a decade in my teens and 20s and really enjoyed being a part of the industry as well as the experience of sharing a sport that I love. This was a way for me to bookend a career in education, not a way to take it's place. I get some of the vitriol I've read here but I'm only a year in to this journey, so I'm more disappointed than angry.

This is why I sought guidance and perspective from other pros. That maybe my "red flags" are simply the way these things go in this business and I was the one who needed to adjust expectations.

At this point, this idea is on hold unless I get a significant sign from the shop that I am misreading their actions/inactions. The hard part is, at some point they'll likely reach out about ITC and I'll need to try to explain my hesitation without burning a bridge.

I have a friend closing up a body shop that is doing really good, because he can't hire good help.
My dive center will start small. By law, I am required to employ at least one Greek citizen as I am a Dutch citizen, not Greek. I do plan on treating my employees well: including pay, number of hours, work atmosphere; so I hope the quality employees I find will come back season after season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom