Red filter for go pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Fox

Registered
Reaction score
So I decided to purchase a cheaper red dive filter for my go pro, it can flip out of the way like the backscatter brand but only cost about $30.
I went to a quary that I have dove before to test it out (yes the water is blue).
I dove to 54 feet and tested the filter and also shot some footage in about 20-50 feet to see what it would turn out like.
When i reviewed the footage everything was as red as blood.
Perhaps this filter is too red for 50 foot range ? Should I test this filter in 80 feet ? Or should I dish out $200 + for a backscatter ?
I do know the backscatter filters for dive and deep aren't red but more of an amber/orange colour but when I was looking at other cheaper filters online a lot of them were red also.
Any one have issues with cheap filters or luck with cheap filters ?

Take a look at SRP Filters if you want good quality or Lee Filters. We have both in stock and can highly recommend them both. We tend to avoid stocking cheap filters for this very reason.

I prefer an orange colored filter for most tropical work. Check out Magic-filters.

Want to do it cheap? Get a 1 stop CTO gel filter and tape it insde the housing.

SRP does well in deep water. I find that in shallow waters the colors look very unatural. Yellows are often blown out.

Strange, at least in GoPro 3 and later should be option automatic correction of white balance.
Maybe try to set up it to auto and remove red filter ?

ya pretty sure it is always in auto white balance - Roman_66
I want a removable filter so I can still take above surface and shallow footage with out having to open the housing - DesertEagle

Jason,

The Chinese manufacturers caught up with the GoPro trend and now manufacture everything, including cheaper versions of dive filters. There are a bunch of knock-offs and other pointless products (i.e. blue colored filter flip filter) on the market. It seems you might have gotten one of those - they probably use a "whatever red" acrylic instead of one with the correct light absorption curve. As most things made-in-China, it's only made to LOOK good but not WORK good.

Go for the SRP branded filters if you can, they are one of the few flip-filters made by someone that knows what they are doing. Some other popular manufacturers never ever dove.

i have red filters by SRP, backscatter and polarpro. all give good results on my GPH3, although i note that polarpro seems to get mixed reviews on this forum. for the money and simplicity, i'd recommend a glass polarpro red filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom