Recsea or Fisheye FIX housing for Canon G12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globalbabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there

[Thought I'd repost this in its own thread as it may have gotten lost during the Scubaboard upgrade.]

I recently bought a Canon G12 camera and am keen to learn underwater photography. As I need to buy an underwater housing, I have narrowed it down to the Recsea housing vs the Fisheye FIX housing since weight is the key consideration (800g for the Recsea or Fisheye is highly preferable to the 2.7kg Ikelite).

I have read the relevant posts in the Canon forum relating to the G12 and housings but remain unclear about the differences between the Recsea and Fisheye housings specifically for the G12 (I think most of them are talking about S95 housings). Are the Recsea and Fisheye housings essentially the same or is one preferable to the other? If so, which one and why?

Though I am new to underwater photography, I am an experienced semi-professional photographer with a full Canon DSLR kit with numerous L lenses - a selection of my work is on Flickr. However, I have decided not to take the gear underwater (weight of the gear for flying and the risk of flooding, more than anything else, as it would be impossible to replace where I live), so need to get a new underwater setup. I will follow up my housing purchase with strobes, wide conversion lens, etc, at a later date.

All advice and recommendations highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I wish someone would reply to this thread. These are exactly the questions I want answered too.
Cheers

The reason there is no reply is that most people are shooting the S series. IMO there really is little difference for the Recsea or FIX in the G series. Either would be a fine housing with the same limitations, no wide angle capability except for the excellent dry port lens, no wet lens. These are both well made aluminum housings made for companies that seem to have a good track record, of course the Fisheye/FIX marketing brand is a bit longer in the market, I think.

N

Thanks for the replies. I also sent a message directly to Backscatter, who I intend to buy the housing through. Here is the response:

"The housings are very similar, but the FIX has a redesigned latch, and improved ergonomics. Both are excellent though."​

I also found photos on Aditech's website that show both housings from different angles. To me, the Fisheye FIX housing would seem to be slightly more usable underwater as it actual labels the buttons on the housing, whereas the RecSea housing has them labelled on a sticker in the top left corner.

I'm tending towards the Fisheye FIX.

I am looking at purchasing a canon g12 as well after consultling with the photo guy at cocoview. He suggested the Canon housing. Is that something you have considered?

I considered the Canon housing and ruled it out as I have read too many reports of it flooding. I am looking for something more durable and better made overall but still relatively lightweight for travel - the Fisheye FIX and RecSea fit the bill in that regard.

I have a FishEye FIX G11 housing which is similar to the RecSea brand and a FishEye FIX G12 housing (which is your "FishEye FIX" in your description). I can tell you that:

> the ergonomics on the FishEye FIX G12 is better than the G11
> the latch is definitely better on the G12, you know for real when its locked
> the buttons are indeed labelled on the G12, but i do not find that it matters much to me b/c i know exactly what the G11 buttons do
> the shot taking lever is a bit stiffer on the G12, but once learnt how to use well, is about the same as the G11 -- the G11 shutter lever requires more press to fully press, so a 1/2 press is actually easier to do but really once you learn the G12 shutter lever tolerances you get the same thing
> the G12 includes the strobe mask, so that you can easily purchase a strobe and plug it directly in with the fibre optic cable - i don't know if the RecSea one comes with it in box, when i bought my G11 it was a separate part (albeit together it was a bit cheaper than the FishEye FIX price)
> the wheel mechanism on the back of the G12 is usually better - both housings have had a bit of a problem catching the actual wheel at the back at depth, but with some tweaking operate as expected (on the G11 i put a DIY shim with a circle of rubber cut out from a rubber glove between the housing + wheel mechanism on the inside of the housing.. works!)

I think if pricing is your main decision maker, go RecSea - they are about equivalent. If you want to spend a bit more to get more, then go the FishEye FIX G12 housing. Both are superior to the Canon OEM housing, mainly because of the usability/feel perspective, flooding and buoyancy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, franktai. It's very helpful to get first hand advice.

Through Backscatter, the FishEye FIX and RecSEa G12 housings actually cost exactly the same (ie. $1099). From what I'm reading and the feedback I've received through various sources, it sounds like the FishEye G12 housing is the better option for me.

Does anyone know how the original G11 Fisheye FIX differs from the one they put out for the G11/ G12 ?

Does anyone know how the original G11 Fisheye FIX differs from the one they put out for the G11/ G12 ?

Have a look at my response (#7) - i have the original G11 FishEye FIX and the G11/G12 FishEye FIX and outlined the difference between the two. Note that the rear wheel control tolerance has more to do with camera tolerances (which vary more) than the housing tolerance - meaning that the rear wheel may work perfectly in the FishEye FIX G11 if you have a camera unit that is better fitted to the housing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom