Recreational Non-Canister Dive Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As this has been posted in the DIR forum you get the DIR answer:

- The lamp has to go in the hand because signalling with it is just as important as illuminating stuff with it. A Goodman handle is needed to keep the hand free for other tasks.

- A cannister lamp is used to provide somewhere to anchor the longhose and to provide ditchable weight (though modern batteries make this last point a bit moot).
With respect to the second point, there are alternative DIR solutions ...

- tucking the long hose in the waist strap
- using a 5-foot hose

The DIR solution invariably boils down to choosing the right tool for the application. Diving reefs in the tropics does not require the same solutions as diving in caves ... there IS no DIR requirement for a canister light. The DIR solution for a light involves the ability to signal and the ability to keep your hand free for other uses. A hand-held light will not normally fit those requirements. A DIY handle might, if it's properly thought out ... keep in mind that you will also want the ability to switch hands easily so as to avoid erratic light signals in the event you need to use your left hand.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A DIY handle might, if it's properly thought out ... keep in mind that you will also want the ability to switch hands easily so as to avoid erratic light signals in the event you need to use your left hand.

If you need to use your left hand, just "hang" the light using the rear bungie loop/double ender (or, in the case of a handheld, perhaps a boltsnap tied to the end) as you would a canister lighthead. This way the light is pointing down, not giving unintended signals and can still be use for signaling.

I have a Salvo handheld HID and if I was buying something similar now I would probably buy the LED version. I have the goodman handle and it's worth the cost.

The Salvo 9W LED 2.6 Li-Ion handheld seems like the perfect (non canister) light to use in a recreational situation (a rather costly solution I must admit). It can be fitted with a Goodman handle, has an attachment point for a bungie loop or boltsnap at the rear (to enable "hanging") and has a respectable burn time.

10.102.909-10.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom