Recovery Postings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6Gill:
I still find it hard to believe that a body would smell from underwater unless it was really in shallow water. (puddle?) I'm aware that some K-9's are able to locate bodies underwater by scent, but humans....not likely!

As for murder victims, have you ever heard of the Green River Serial Killer? He dumped a number of his victims in the Green River, King County WA in the jurisdiction of the King County Sheriff's Department. (The Department that I retired from after 34 years.) My departments dive team recovered a number of these bodies. :wolfgang:

I absolutely agree. The smell that I was alluding to was AFTER the body came out of the water...definitely not while it was in. I have never smelled a body underwater and in my experience, the cadaver dogs usually don't either. I think in 10 or 12 incidents where I've seen a cadaver dog used to try and locate a victim, one actually hit on the area where the victim was recovered.

You're also right...water-related stuff doesn't generally hold a candle to what you see just doing the regular job.

The Green River Killer? Of course I've heard of him and the case! I know that they arrested the guy responsible a year or two ago and that he admitted to 50 some murders I think? He said he killed so many that he couldn't keep them straight. I'm sure he probably committed even more.

Referring to your other post...I hope that you don't think that I put anything in my last post that might id a victim. Believe me, I didn't.

Pez de Diablo:
Don't put a name in a posting of someone that died because it can be a real shock to the friend who finds out in such a cold manner. Do you agree?

From what I have seen in the US at least, the recovery divers would not be the ones releasing the name to the public, at least the initial notification. If the immediate family has been notified and the media informed of the deceased's name, then the case is public knowledge. Is it any better having a buddy tell you "Jim" died?

Where do you draw the line? If you can't handle a detail or two, stop reading and stay away from the board

I agree. I was taught that "rescue" means bringing someone back alive BUT "recovery" means bringing back a corpse or parts back for a funeral.

A recovery MEANS the person was DEAD, possible "shocking" details involved.

MikeC:
From what I have seen in the US at least, the recovery divers would not be the ones releasing the name to the public, at least the initial notification. If the immediate family has been notified and the media informed of the deceased's name, then the case is public knowledge. Is it any better having a buddy tell you "Jim" died?
What we post on the internet hangs around for a LONG time, in many instances pages are even archived long after a website's demise.
Anyone doing a search on a particular person's name could have the whole series of posts pop up, not a very pleasant thing to see for friends & family members.
A little discretion goes a long ways.

indypddiver:
I absolutely agree. The smell that I was alluding to was AFTER the body came out of the water...definitely not while it was in. I have never smelled a body underwater and in my experience, the cadaver dogs usually don't either. I think in 10 or 12 incidents where I've seen a cadaver dog used to try and locate a victim, one actually hit on the area where the victim was recovered.

You're also right...water-related stuff doesn't generally hold a candle to what you see just doing the regular job.

The Green River Killer? Of course I've heard of him and the case! I know that they arrested the guy responsible a year or two ago and that he admitted to 50 some murders I think? He said he killed so many that he couldn't keep them straight. I'm sure he probably committed even more.

Referring to your other post...I hope that you don't think that I put anything in my last post that might id a victim. Believe me, I didn't.

Good! It seems that we are on the same page now! No, I didn't think you were putting anything in your material that would ID a victim. This would not be a good thing to do in any of these boards. Actually, there is no reason at all to ID any victim in rescues or recoveries that I can see.

I didn't mention it, but I was able to rescue a number unlimited Hydro boat drivers in both the Seattle Gold Cup and Seafair races on Lake Washington in the mid 50's to the early 70's. My department and the department's dive team was chosen to work with the USCG to provide control and safety assets on the course.

My job was to ride in the USCG helo (before it was able to land on water) and jump with full SCUBA gear into the problem site (usually a boat flip) and rescue the driver, who was usually injured and get him into the lowered basket so he could be evacuated to medical help. I was able to do this a number of times once twice in one race.

The Sea Hunt (Old Mike Nelson) people used some news media TV/Film of me leaping into the wreckage of such a crash. It was taken from above the USCG helo. They played it during the opening of the show, on the newer programs. (I'm still trying to get a copy with that introduction in it.)

These are the only rescues that I was able to do. As you well know, most of the time by the time you get there get the needed info and get into your gear, etc. the victim has been UW a long time. We always hoped that we would get one that could be revived, counting on the cold spring fed waters of the local lakes and the cold temps in Puget Sound, but we never did. :Wizard:

MikeC:

Dude,

On the internet in these forums information is passed on faster than you could imagine.

It happened to me this week. Was/is there a better way, I don't know.

But we don't need a sanitized bubble around our lives, we need to face facts, people/friends die and it isn't always pretty, so why sugar coat it? Put in all the details and lets learn from it.

Gary D.:
When you can smell them on the bottom you know the Vicks and Cigars are going to be useless.

Gary D.

I hear that its not wise to use Vicks at it actually opens the sinus passages and let's more of the smell inside. Peppermint Oil works much better.

Wendy:
I hear that its not wise to use Vicks at it actually opens the sinus passages and let's more of the smell inside. Peppermint Oil works much better.
But "Vicks" has worked so well. Thanks for the tip on the Peppermint oil. Need to give that a try.

On the issue of smelling underwater. The only time I have is while wearing a FF (Cressi style) and not a regular mask. I normally breathe through my nose and didn't smell anything until after disturbing the body.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
It should not be a surprise for someone to read a post and be shocked by some unpleasent details they might not be expecting.
Gary D.
Gee, Gary, like when you described to my wife and I (both regular civilians) about the guy you found with no skull and no flesh on his skeleton except for the bottom half of one leg?Oh, you told us about it DURING DINNER! You mean unpleasant details like that?
By the way, the fish was awesome!

Rick Inman:
Gee, Gary, like when you described to my wife and I (both regular civilians) about the guy you found with no skull and no flesh on his skeleton except for the bottom half of one leg?Oh, you told us about it DURING DINNER! You mean unpleasant details like that?
By the way, the fish was awesome!
The garlic should provide a buffer zone. :wink:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom