Recovery expectation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fshbreath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,
I'm having Knee surgery on the 15th for torn ACL and complex meniscus tear. Doc said walking right away, 3 weeks for full imersion, 6-7 months for full sports activity( refering to snow boarding type impacts). Anyone have experience with recovery due to diving. My Acl was torn for years before I ever dove. So I would imagine as soon as entry would heals and swelling is gone I should be ok.

Thanks,

Why rush it? You have a whole lifetime of diving ahead of you.

The knee joint figures prominently in activities involving fin kicks and moving around with a significant amount of weight on your back.
I'd recommend waiting out the 6-7 months for clearance for full sports activity.
If you have a pressing reason to dive earlier than that, it would be best to discuss this first with your orthopedic surgeon (or whomever you are seeing for surgical follow-up).

It's very important to not scrimp on your physical therapy. To elaborate a bit on Bubbletrubble, it's quite possible that your range-of-motion will change a bit and stresses different than before may be placed on your knee while kicking a fin, among other activities. You'll want your knee and muscles healed and in shape; ease back into diving to adapt to any change of mechanics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom