Recompression Chamber experience this past weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read somewhere that one of the medical team stays in the chamber with
the patient and if, needed, they can make a small puncture the patient's
ear-drum. I imagine that sort of thing is a last resort, but compared to
acute DCS, I doubt the patient would complain.
how to guarantee the medic would stay conscious?! :huh:

how to guarantee the medic would stay conscious?! :huh:

This may be an easily answered question (since I'm a noob I'm not sure...) but on top of that, how would the medic avoid being narced? Sounds like a pretty delicate procedure...

I took a "real" chamber ride on Navy Recompression table 6 Sunday (06/28/2009).

Dived to 60ft on the Oxygen Demand Mask. It was interesting how much more often I seemed to need to equalize. The "Tender" was using the valsava (forced nose pinch) method while I was able to simply swallow. There was a "Blower" (the outside tech called it that) device to compensate for the increase in temp as we compressed. The chipmunk effect was amusing to myself and the Tender.

The biggest thing I got from the experience was realizing that I spent 5 hours in the chamber (could accomidate 12 sitting), knowing that there was no way to quickly open the door and exit, without having even the slightest claustrophobic reaction. I've been claustrophobic all my life and have indeed had panic attacks in much larger places. My trigger has always been more about my ability to exit the situation than the size of the confinement.

All of the lab results can back good and I've been symptom free since the chamber dive so my Doc thinks it was a psychosymatic hit as opposed to a DCS hit. I guess that's what happens when you get dragged to the surface from 55ft (5 mins bottom time) just a month after you complete Rescue Diver!

I would agree that every diver should do a chamber dive as I was a bit nervous, ok completely freaked-out when the Doc told me DAN said "Get him to the Hyberbaric Chamber". Just the knowing what to expect if you ever must do it has immeasurable value.

Back
Top Bottom