Recommended Tank PSI for X Country trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
We're driving from TX to FL in a few weeks and are taking our tanks with us. We've sucked them down to 250 PSI. Is this safe enough for transport in the hatchback area or should we drain them down even farther? I don't have a very good gauge for very low pressure.

Thanks,
Andy

android:
We're driving from TX to FL in a few weeks and are taking our tanks with us. We've sucked them down to 250 PSI. Is this safe enough for transport in the hatchback area or should we drain them down even farther? I don't have a very good gauge for very low pressure.

Thanks,
Andy

I would think the safest way would be to bleed them completely down. I know when they are shipped the are empty, the valve is removed and the dust cap goes back in.

My major concern would be some fool rear ending us, knocking the valves off and turning the tanks into ballistic missiles. I always pack the tanks sideways so that they will hopefully shoot out the sides of the car and miss us in the front.

I'm not going to empty them since the visual is only a few months old and I don't want to waste $30 getting an inspection I don't need.

android:
My major concern would be some fool rear ending us, knocking the valves off and turning the tanks into ballistic missiles. I always pack the tanks sideways so that they will hopefully shoot out the sides of the car and miss us in the front.

I'm not going to empty them since the visual is only a few months old and I don't want to waste $30 getting an inspection I don't need.

250 PSI is plenty low. Even if you were in an accident that small amount of air would be the least of your worries.

Mark Vlahos

I have seen a rack full of tanks come loose at highway speed. I have no idea why it happened but I was following the guy when the tanks fell out of the rack and NOT ONE TANK blew or had an issue. So I would not be concerned about a rear-ender causing a blowout. I think an accident capable of causing a problem for the tanks will be a bigger problem for the users and the tanks should not be a concern as long as the tanks themselves do not move into the passennger compartment of the car.

I drove from Oregon to Michigan last year and back to Oregon this year. I drained my tanks down to about 300 PSI. You shouldn't have a problem.

Scott

progressweasel:
I have seen a rack full of tanks come loose at highway speed. I have no idea why it happened but I was following the guy when the tanks fell out of the rack and NOT ONE TANK blew or had an issue. So I would not be concerned about a rear-ender causing a blowout. I think an accident capable of causing a problem for the tanks will be a bigger problem for the users and the tanks should not be a concern as long as the tanks themselves do not move into the passennger compartment of the car.
I’m sorry but having tanks fall off vehicles doesn’t always have a happy ending.
I had a 300 cubic foot oxygen cylinder fall off a truck at low speed and it was not a good thing. If I remember these tanks are at a bit less than 2500 psi.
A clank sound followed by a deafening hiss and when the dust settled the tank was gone. We never found it. Everyone in the truck was lucky to be alive.
However, I do agree with you that there is nothing to worry with tanks drained to 250 psi.

android:
I always pack the tanks sideways so that they will hopefully shoot out the sides of the car and miss us in the front.

That's a very simple and smart detail, thanks.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom