Recommended Operators in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the dive operations that I have used in Cozumel, I can recommend 5 of 6 of them. These all treat you well, let you dive your computer and the air in your tank, and try their best to separate beginners from experienced divers on different boats.

Blue Angel Dive Shop
Blue XT Sea Diving
Deep Blue Cozumel
Dive with Martin
Liquid Blue Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_95492
It would be great if there were indidivual threads for the different ops. I'm trying to find a Dive Op and am finding it difficult to find reviews of each Op. I am not interesrted in location so much, and the difference in price really isn't that great...so for me, being able ot look up the experiences people have at each of the Ops makes my decision that much easier.

Customer Service. No cattle boats. Allowance to dive your tank and not cut the dive short because the novice next to you blew through his tank. And of course the freedom to take pictures/video.

My top wants in a Dive Operator.

Here is an old post you can read about Raul at bottomtime.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/92785-glad-i-switched-dive-operator.html

If you want to read about individual dive ops, you might want to subscribe to Undercurrent...on-line or otherwise. You can look at ratings of an assortment of dive ops there. Plus there's lots of other good info!

I will cast a vote for Dive with Martin. I have not been to Cozumel since my friends passing but his organization that lives on I have been told carries on his tradition of service to the customer.

Hey had 4 boats last I was there I believe - none of them could have held any more than 6 or 8 maximum.

I had the opportunity to dive with my friend many many times over the years before his passing. I have two favorite stories to pass on to you:

1. Before the current shop or location, he operated out of what could be called a concrete bunker type facility which was just off the dock of the second pier. Concrete bunker with 1 door and a few tiny windows no one could squeeze though. Note I had only dove with him but a handful of time before. The boats were out and we were shore diving the plane to get aquainted on our first day there. I asked if we could do another dive on the plane before we headed out. He said, "Hold on my friend I will be back in 1 minute." I watched him walk into the shop - pull 4 tanks out - open one of the tiny windows next to the door - come out and lock the door." You could have knocked me over with a feather with what happed next. He came over - handed me the key - and said, "I need to go to town to run and errand, and run by the house to get something. If you finish those tanks overthere before I get back, please put them back in the shop along with your equipment - and I'll see you 4 tommarrow morning." Who does that? We finished - opened the shop back up - put everything up as he asked - locked the shop back up - and tossed the key into the shop through the tiny window that was left open. Great vacation.

2. Two years later we had a group down there and by number had a captured boat to ourselves. The DM for the dives asked us where we wanted to go. We told him - we want off the beat and path. Would you take us to where you like to go diving - when its for pleasure and not your job. My gage never hit 40 the whole day. Pristine virgin everything - my only hope is that that remains in post hurricane Cozumel.

The reason for the above is not to try to sell you on Dive with Martin. I have not been there since his passing, but to show you the man - and that somehow his actions should continue in the life of his business and employees. We all lead by example and he was a fine example.

I envy you in your trip to Cozumel and hope a trip is in the near future for me.

I think Aldora does northern pickups. But if you are willing to drive, this site is full of recommendations as your wants in a dive operator are very common around here.

Aldora does southern too......stayed @ the Allegro & they picked us up each day there---made it great for diving Devil's Throat, what a 5 minute boat ride.........Try them, you'll love them.........lol, all others are wannabees......

Blue XT Sea has wonderful customer service- rinse and set up your gear or if you prefer set up your own. Snacks at the "beach". Dive your tank with your computer profile. They are a little more expensive than some other dive ops, but more than make up for it in customer service and dive times.

I will throw in my .02, but it is from one trip to cozumel. I dove Blue XT Sea primarily and Dressel on an afternoon.

Blue XT has nice boats with some shade for getting out of the sun. The DM's are knowledgable and handle your gear from start to finish. You are pampered and taken care of from the time you get in the boat until you leave it...your gear is rinsed and hung back at their shop to dry....waiting for you on the tank the next morning when they pick you up. Surface Intervals are on the beach at a local resort, restrooms etc are there if you need them. If the wind is blowing just wrong, they SI at what I took to be an abandoned pier, but it's a nice beach and comfortable place to siesta. They provide bottled water, juice, fruit and muffins on your surface interval along with dry towels and jackets for those who want them. You dive your computer, no time limits. We started our ascent at 700 psi regardless of depth but we are novices and I think Blanca was keeping us safe, which I thank her for. Entry is a back roll over the side, which I enjoy.

With Dressel you are on a clock. 1 hour in the mornings, 45 minutes in the afternoons. When the DM's clock says it is time, you are going up. As a novice that only cut me out of about 10 minutes worth of diving on the two afternoon dives I went with them...for an expert you might end up in the boat with a tank you could dive again. :) Entry is giant stride off the back.

I would dive with Blue XT Sea again without question. Dressel...only if the Op I booked the rest of the week with wasn't doing afternoons, and then only if I was really wanting to keep going. Their DM's were friendly, the boat was crowded but not enough to bother me, the schedule where you can pick which dives you want is pretty cool. Nitrox is free, which is very cool. But I find that I don't like being on a timer. If that means I won't get afternoon dives in the future...well so be it I guess (though I would rather have my cake and eat it too).

Spend some time in the coz section here and read a lot. Have contingency plans for if the weather doesn't allow diving, or if it's only suitable to dive the east side, or cenotes. I went through the same decision process you are going through a month or so ago. I decided on Blue XT Sea and don't regret that decision.

We went down with the plan of diving 6 days, 1 day to tour the island..come home. 3 days of weather came in and we had no idea what to do with ourselves after the first one. Next trip, I will know better. There are zip lines on the island which would pass half a day in a fun way. I thought the ruins were unimpressive, but others like them. The ruins on the mainland are better if you have the entire day off. Aldora dives the east side if it's a Norte holding you up (others may as well). We toured some hotels etc on the last weather day, which has helped us plan our next trip. You can swim with the dolphins if that sounds fun. I'm sure there is a lot to do on the island when diving isn't possible, but I had not even considered the possibility when we went, which was my mistake. Make a list, print websites etc and take it with you...just in case.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments! I had a tough time deciding on which Op...and after reading as many other posts and reviews from other sites, I finally chose Aldora. I had it narrowed down to Blue XTsea, Aldora, and Bottom Time.

I will be in Coz Dec 6-13 and have 5 two-tank day dives planned and 4 one-tank night dives. I'llbe staying at the Melia, which I will probably not do again since they are so far north.

I haven't dove Coz since my first dives in 1992. I'm excited about returning. I also just purchased a housing for my Video camera, so I will be videotaping my dives for the first time...no more still photos.

I'll post about my trip, Aldora, and the Melia after I return.

Until then...Happy Bubbles

-Rich

Blue XT Sea is excellent, really a cut above most others. I have also had good luck on Dive With Martin. No one mentioned it, but Paradise has a Six Pack service that is inexpensive and gives a nice dive. But, you have to clear your gear off the boat and break down your weights every day. My experience with Aldora was not good, and I don't think they are worth their high prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom