Recommended diving spots from Dallas Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking to some of the divers at Lake Travis today and brought up Aquarena Springs in San Marcos.

I'm sure Driftwood will jump in here, but those Lake Travis divers are promulgating a few inaccuracies. First it's only $230 for the Science Diving Cert. It's an incredibly interesting class that covers local history, archaeology, endangered critters/plants, aquifer hydrology, and boat rides. It costs about what any diving cert costs and lets you in on some of the best diving in central Tx.

But they don't offer the cert just so you can dive there. It's a federally protected area and people who don't dive there regularly can do some significant damage just because they don't know any better. Hence the need for refreshers -- and personally I think there should be 1:1 supervision of new and re-newing divers by regular divers. I'm thinking you have to get in 6 hours of volunteer diving / year or take the refresher? But that's really not enough.

Our primary job there is weeding and "spring cleaning". Divers are assigned a task in a specific area and that's what you work on. But that leaves plenty of opportunity for sight seeing. Regular divers get assigned further away -- they know you won't get lost. I'm not sure what the total length of the lake is in feet. On those incredibly rare occasions that I've gotten to tag along on a full tour it's taken 40 leisurely minutes to do the whole thing (one way). It's not big but it's packed. There's something new every time I go. With 50 ft visibility you notice things. Your dive bubble is actually larger than the 15 ft you get on an avg good day in Travis. You are also working in the most difficult part of the water column so buoyancy skills you perfect there stand you in good stead in all your diving. Please note that you have to pass a buoyancy test to pass the class.

hmm I did find a nice place off of 620 to eat dinner after diving. A little Mexican join called Iguana Grill. It over looks the lake and they have live bands on the weekend. Not that that has anything to do with the temperature in Jan...... haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom