Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing a whole bunch of reading in various threads, but I thought I'd throw my parameters out and see what people come up with for us to think about.

Last spring, we did a crewed sailboat charter in the BVI with three other couples, and everybody had a ball. We want to do something again next year (probably in April), but we've realized that, other than actual liveaboard operations, it's hard to find a charter boat with diving, so we're also willing to consider shore-based vacations.

The group is eight and perhaps ten people. Experience ranges from me and Peter, with a couple hundred dives each, to three people who will have only a dozen or so (at least unless I can get them into dry suits in the meantime). One person is a complete non-diver but does enjoy snorkelling. We're all around 50, and none of us is into any sort of wild night life. We do like comfortable accomodations, good food and good wine. I won't say price is not an object, but we can all afford to go someplace nice. A boat would be our first choice, but a quiet shore resort will do.

I've thought about Cozumel, which appeals to me because of its proximity to the cenotes :D, but I'm worried about two things -- the condition of the reefs, and the current being too much for our relatively novice divers. I've been reading about Belize, which sounds enticing. A friend yesterday was recommending Tobago, but it sounds as though one might get pretty aggravated at vendors and scam artists there.

I know there's a ton of Caribbean experience here -- Any suggestions?

As far as Cozumel goes I've stayed at the Allegro. It's a very nice all inclusive resort type hotel. Their accommodations are good. The food is pretty good as well. There is a dive shop onsite, but I've never used them. They do allow 3rd party dive operators to dock at their pier to pick up and drop off customers. The Allegro is located away from town close to the southern side of the island, approximately across from Santa Rosa Wall. This is a benefit because you can have your dive operation pick you up at the pier or use the dive operation onsite and you don’t have as far of a boat ride. The down side to the location of the Allegro is that a typical taxi ride from the hotel to town will cost around $15 each way. That can be somewhat expensive if you want to do some touristy type things in town.

I’ve also stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Hotel Cozumel is also an all inclusive, but its accommodations aren’t as nice as the Allegro, but the hotel is still very nice. It’s located in town and there are many restaurants and touristy attractions within walking distance.

As far as currents go, most of the dive sites are drift dives so you are mostly going with the current. I wouldn't worry about the experience level for the most part. The sights that I wouldn't recommend for the inexperienced are the dive sights at the southern most end of the island, such as Maracaibo, Punta Sur, and Chun Chacaab Reefs and the sites at the northern most end of the island such as Barracuda and San Juan. The reason why I mention those sites are because of unpredictable currents, under tows, and the depth at some of those sites. Sites such as Santa Rosa Wall, Palancar Reef, Columbia Reef, Punta Tunich Wall, and Paradise Reef are excellent sites for divers of all experience. Paradise Reef is my favorite night dive on Cozumel. It has very little current and there is allot of life that comes out at night there. It’s a very relaxing dive.

The last time I was there was before the hurricane last year. I don’t know what the reef conditions are like other than what I’ve heard from other people. I’ve heard that some of the shallower reefs are covered in sand and that it looks like it’s snowed on the reefs. I’m not sure how much things have changed from that. Maybe somebody can chime in with some updates?

The only dive operation that I’ve used on the island is DIMI Scuba Tours. Their boats don’t look like much, but they are a personable dive operation and are very friendly. You can check them out at http://www.cozuemelscubatours.com and http://www.dimiscubatours.com.

I’ve also been to Turks & Caicos. I stayed on the Turks & Caicos Aggressor II. All I can say from that experience is that live boards are the only way to dive. The T&C Aggressor crew is very knowledgeable, professional, and very friendly. The food on the boat was excellent and I would go back in a heart beat. We dove some excellent dive sites that don’t get dove very often because of their proximity to shore for most dive operations, which mean’s that the reefs and walls at most sites were in pristine condition. That has been some of my favorite diving including my favorite dive site of all time – West Sand Spit.

There’s my limited experience in the Caribbean. :) Hope that helps.

We actually did a crewed charter in the Grenadines about fifteen years ago, and we loved it. Combining a boat with the dive ops like in your second link might be an option -- thanks.

If you are interested in Belize, just a bit further down is the island of Roatan. Several carriers go directly there from the states as well as Taca Air from El Salvador. I stayed at the Inn of Last Resort and had a fantastic time. They are part of the same reef as Belize so one will see much of the same critters. They are pretty low key there, so if you are just looking to Dive and relax, I would recomend them.

http://www.innoflastresort.com/

The other place that I would recomend is Ocean Fronteirs in the Grand Caymen's. They are located on the east end of the island away from all the touresty parts. The rooms themselves are topnotch and the dive operation is 100% friendly and professional.

http://www.oceanfrontiers.com/

I wouldn't rule out Cozumel because of the currents. My LDS takes groups of all experience levels and often does open water certification dives there. I certified my first student in Cozumel. As long as people realize they should just relax and go with the flow, Cozumel diving is really easy (at least on the most-visited sites). I also would not rule it out because of the condition of the reefs. I dove there in January and it was pretty good. Lots of other people on the board have reported on reef condition since the hurricane and it's clear that things have changed, but the diving is still great. If you're looking for nicer accommodations, you should consider the Presidente. It's supposed to re-open this month. We stayed there once and it was very nice.

Little Cayman and Cayman Brac are spectacular diving, but your dining and other topside options are very limited. The diving will suit new divers and experts.

Anse Chastenet Resort on St. Lucia is a beautiful resort on a beautiful island. The diving is good, but different from Cozumel or the Caymans. Vis is not as good and there aren't as many large animals, but there is a great variety of colorful sponges, corals, and smaller sea life. The downsides are that it is not easy to get to St. Lucia, particularly from the west coast, and the resort can be pricey. I would say it's worth the money.

Bonaire came to my mind. With the nice house reefs at Buddys, Caribe Inn, etc, your group will have easy access to great habitat. As the group gets comfortable as a team underwater, either shore diving other spots or boat dives are options. Of course, I may be biased. Headed there in 5 weeks (whos counting?).

I have to agree that Bonaire would suit you all well. Diving is available for all levels and you have the choice of boat or shore dives. Your snorkeler can get guided snorkel trips for very inexpensive. A lot of people who only snorkel can choose to snorkel above the divers. Bonaire is quiet, laid back, great food, definitely worth it. The average age of a diver is in his/her mid 40's, so you guys will fit right in! If you are going to be 10 people, ask if the resort you may want to choose if the have a book 9 get 1 free special. Some do that. Also, the end of April would be the best time to go and Continental would be your best option for the fastest way to get to Bonaire. You can choose either to fly from WA to Newark on Sat or from WA to Houston on Fri RT from Seattle to Bonaire via Newark (great for west coasters as the Red Eye is from Newark!) is about $900.00 per person RT. Remember high season is till Easter, and usually a few weeks after. Enjoy! Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom