Recommendations in Leeward Islands, 1/2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfksabal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
To the Community:

We're chartering a boat and sailing in the Leeward Islands in 4.5 months and could use some recommendations for dive sites, shops, etc., if you please! There will be 3 divers, renting our own tanks & weights when/where necessary, so we can just dive off our boat, although we'll likely give the locals as much business as possible.

Itinerary:
Anguilla or St. Maarten -- whichever has better diving.

Oranjestad (the island, not the town on Aruba)

Gustavia

St. Kitts

Montserrat

Guadeloupe

Thanks in advance everyone!

I’m not sure that anyone would rent you hardware and watch you sail away.

How many full tanks per diver (each trip) would you need to haul away to have this make any sense? You’re describing a single tank dive off of a very slow dive boat. Do you really want to be tied to that same pier twice in one day? Exhausting. Cumbersome. A lot of hard, dangerous work.

Most yachties that attempt this ? They own tanks and have a compressor on board. This is not an easy or pleasant thing, and very slow, low pressure fills- it’s really a rarity in these days. “Third Lungs” are more prevalent, often carried for emergency hull work but fun for 25’ reef dives.

The other real problem with this is the lack of tank racks and the big one- ladders that are fit for divers.

Moorings at dive sites are available to anyone, but you might raise the ire of local shops if you hog a popular site for more than 1:15. Please- do not heave an anchor.

I have moved families around such islands in their yachts. They mostly have had onboard facilities to accomplish your intended process, but I usually instead convince them to take a private charter from an LDS in our port of call.

It’s easier. Way easier.

I’m not sure that anyone would rent you hardware and watch you sail away.

How many full tanks per diver (each trip) would you need to haul away to have this make any sense? You’re describing a single tank dive off of a very slow dive boat. Do you really want to be tied to that same pier twice in one day? Exhausting. Cumbersome. A lot of hard, dangerous work.

Most yachties that attempt this ? They own tanks and have a compressor on board. This is not an easy or pleasant thing, and very slow, low pressure fills- it’s really a rarity in these days. “Third Lungs” are more prevalent, often carried for emergency hull work but fun for 25’ reef dives.

The other real problem with this is the lack of tank racks and the big one- ladders that are fit for divers.

Moorings at dive sites are available to anyone, but you might raise the ire of local shops if you hog a popular site for more than 1:15. Please- do not heave an anchor.

I have moved families around such islands in their yachts. They mostly have had onboard facilities to accomplish your intended process, but I usually instead convince them to take a private charter from an LDS in our port of call.

It’s easier. Way easier.

Hey Doc!

Thanks so much for your input -- that's really good info., and we'll likely not do that, then!

In that case, what do you know about the Leeward Islands. Any recommendations?

How did you arrive at that list of islands to visit? Are you familiar with them? I don't recall offhand anyone talking about diving Anguilla; I visited briefly on a cruise ship stop in 2006 for a dolphin excursion from St. Maarten. Arid, stubby-looking place (what I saw wasn't unlike Bonaire). You will find a few threads discussing St. Maarten/St. Martin diving. Never dove it myself; have done some cruise ship stop excursions there.

You mentioned Guadeloupe. Elgringoperdido has a July 2018 trip report on it. Do any of you guys speak French? See also Guadeloupe or Martinique?

Uncfnp's thread Info. on St. Kitts above and below the waves...from 2018 may be helpful. I never dove it...enjoyed the topside on a cruise stop. Pretty island.

How did you arrive at that list of islands to visit? Are you familiar with them? I don't recall offhand anyone talking about diving Anguilla; I visited briefly on a cruise ship stop in 2006 for a dolphin excursion from St. Maarten. Arid, stubby-looking place (what I saw wasn't unlike Bonaire). You will find a few threads discussing St. Maarten/St. Martin diving. Never dove it myself; have done some cruise ship stop excursions there.

You mentioned Guadeloupe. Elgringoperdido has a July 2018 trip report on it. Do any of you guys speak French? See also Guadeloupe or Martinique?

Uncfnp's thread Info. on St. Kitts above and below the waves...from 2018 may be helpful. I never dove it...enjoyed the topside on a cruise stop. Pretty island.

Thanks very much for that @drrich2! Good stuff!

That's our sailing itinerary, however it's now been revised as follows:
- VIrgin Gorda
- St. Martin
- St. Kitts
- Antigua
- Guadeloupe

I'll check out those links....thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom