Recommendations in Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPMRaptor

New
Reaction score
I've got a free ticket that I'm looking to burn and I was thinking of a dive trip down to the Florida keys. I'd probably be flying into Fort Lauderdale and driving from there.

Any recommendations on where to go? I've never dove Florida so I'm looking for some pointers on where to go/avoid. I've done almost all Carribean diving. I'm also a new underwater photographer ( http://jmeagher.net/scuba/Bonaire2004/ ).

Thanks,
John

if you don't wish to drive down very far into the keys and get molested by conchs (the people not the snails), try doing a trip out to John Pennekamp Park. Diving-wise it's probably the most popular park in the U.S.. Wrecks and coral galore.

If you feel a bit adventurous and wanna risk the Lower Keys, head on down to Big Pine Key (just the other side of 7-mile bridge) and join a boat charter out to Looe Key, a might pretty bank barrier reef 4.5 miles offshore.

And if you REALLY want some fun, shoot down to Key West and hop aboard a fast ferry to the Dry Tortugas, where the largest masonry structure in the western hemisphere resides (Fort Jefferson)... oh and the most pristine diving in the Keys (yes, technically you're still in the Keys).

archman:
If you feel a bit adventurous and wanna risk the Lower Keys, head on down to Big Pine Key (just the other side of 7-mile bridge) and join a boat charter out to Looe Key, a might pretty bank barrier reef 4.5 miles offshore.

Not sure why the Lower Keys is a "risk" - I recently had an absolutely fantastic time with Jim Wyatt's charter, Reef Divers. Check it out. Not sure about what accomodations would be on the boat for u/w photography, but Jim would be happy to answer whatever questions you have. He runs a first class operation.

Several years ago I dove out of Marathon Key with Capt. Banny Thorne of Never Enough Charters. it's my understanding that he's still in operation, and gets nothing but good reviews as well from folks on this board.

Jim

Skip the Keys and stay in Ft. Lauderdale. You're already flying into FLL so why drive another 2 to 3 hours when there are so many great dive sites right here? We have miles of reef, dozens of wrecks ranging in depth from 20 to over 300 feet, great beach diving, shorter boat rides to the sites, less current to deal with and great night life for something to do after the dive. Other then the big wreck Speigal Grove there is nothing in the Keys that we don't have right here less then a mile off shore.

Check out these links...

Click on the dive sites link on the left

Great Diving Op in FLL

Beach Diving

Another good Dive Op

shouldn't be missed. The high-profile spur-and-groove reef formations are loaded with fishes and other creatures... just waiting to have their picture taken! Molasses Reef would be my first choice for reef photography. For deep wreck diving, it's hard to beat the USCG Cutter Duane.

As for Fort Lauderdale having everything (except for the Spiegel Grove) and more than the Keys does... I really gotta get out more!

KeyLargoBrent:
shouldn't be missed. The high-profile spur-and-groove reef formations are loaded with fishes and other creatures... just waiting to have their picture taken! Molasses Reef would be my first choice for reef photography. For deep wreck diving, it's hard to beat the USCG Cutter Duane.

As for Fort Lauderdale having everything (except for the Spiegel Grove) and more than the Keys does... I really gotta get out more!

LOL Just my opinion Brent, no offense intended to any of our hardcore Keys divers. I will admitt that the Keys are nice but if you're flying into FLL my suggestion would be to stay right here.

If you ever get up this way during the week and have some time to dive drop me a PM and we can either do a charter trip of just take my boat out.

KeyLargoBrent:

You really do. Let us know when you coming up and we'll show you. :D

Marc

KeyLargoBrent:
it's hard to beat the USCG Cutter Duane.

The Captain Dan?

KeyLargoBrent:
and thank you both for your kind offer. I'll gladly take you up on it! Which days do you both have off?
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday intil about 3pm. I work a 10 hour grave yard shift so I have the three days off during the week.

evad:
The Captain Dan?
Sweet wreck. We dived it just last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom