Recommendations for the Philippines in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seasmog

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
G'day guys

First time poster on these boards, but I've been lurking for a while

I'm off with my fiancée to the Philippines in August. We'll be heading to the Alona Beach area for a week, and then have another week to visit another region of the Philippines

I'm looking for some advice, on where to stay and who to dive with in Alona beach + th enest sites to dive at, and also some guidance on where to visit afterwards.

In terms of places to stay, we're looking for somewhere nice near to the beach.

In terms of places to visit afterwards I've been looking at Malapuscua and Puerto Galera, but am not sure whether A) Malapuscua is worth staying on for a week as some comments seem to indicate there's not much else there to do except dive B) There seem to be comments that the 'night life scene' around PG may not sit well with the missus.

What are your thoughts? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Aug is definitely low season and you will be spoiled for reasonable accommodation. Go and see for yourself on Alona Beach. There are plenty of informations on this board for dive operators and accommodation.
In terms of diving, Malapascua is hard to beat. What else do you want to do after 3-4 dives?
If you want easy dive and a bit of flexibility(drink and food) then I would suggest Moalboal for 3-4 days. 2-3 hrs by public bus from Cebu Southern Bus station.
Other places around Bohol are Dumaguete and Siquijor.

Keep your eyes on weather. Typhoon season!

A week at Alona Beach is good. Check out the Oasis Resort, they also have an excellent dive shop attached to the hotel. If you are flying into Manila, Anilao is a great place to spend another week. Its a 3 hour drive from Manila. As centrals mentioned August is typhoon season so you need to keep your plans open, you may have to miss a day diving or flights are sometimes cancelled.

Have you though about Coron Bay? Just throwing it out there...

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I really appreciate your help.

Kenr - I've booked us into the Oasis resort. It looks good, so thanks for the heads up.

We're intending to keep the rest of the holiday open and just book additional flights once we get there, just in case the weather is really bad.

I hadn't thought of Coron Bay. I take it from your comment Rhone Man that it's worth checking out?

Cheers

Good idea to keep your trip open you never know how the weather will be. Air travel around the phil is time consuming. In most cases you have to fly back to Manila and then off to your destination. From Bohol you can taxi to Tagbilaran and then take an hour and 45 min ferry to Dumaquette. You could leave on the early morning ferry and be at your hotel in Dauin before noon and hardly miss a beat. You can catch a flight out of Dumaguette (near Dauin) to Manila. Unfortunately the rains can mess up the flights. Alternatively fly back to Manila and head off to Anilao by car. The muck diving in Anilao is really spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom