Recommendations for Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite the bad things that have been said about Ocho and I partly agree - I still think you can make it a good base from which to explore. We made friends with one of the instructors at Scuba Jamaica a few years back when he worked at 'We Be Divin'. Last time we went his brother, Shane, asked us what we wanted to see and he took us to see the 'REAL' Jamaica. One of the markets he took us to (can't remember the name of the town) was fascinating - I have never seen such lovely big fruit and vegetables. We were the only tourists there and everyone greeted us in a friendly manner, shook hands with us, asked where we were from etc. No one tried to sell us anything. Yes there are places where you will be asked if you want to buy anything but remember a lot of these people are very poor and a polite 'no' and a smile and they will back off.

Hope you will have a great time in Jamaica - we have been 3 times and love it. The people are so warm and friendly :)

I spent a week at the Breezes Runaway Bay (right outside Ocho Rios) last November. The resort was great, but the onsite dive op was horrible.

Breezes was sharing one boat between a total of 4 resorts, so you were lucky to get to do one dive a day. The boat picks you up on the beach but because of all of the rocks cant come far enough in so you have to walk out into shoulder deep water carrying all of your gear. The boat it self did not seem safe at all. Holes in the seats, tanks rolling around lose, one guy eve had to continually squeeze the gas pump to keep the motor running.

The dive site was alright, it was on a shallow wall right off the beach. The reef was mostly dead, so not alot of marine life was to be found. The DM's corralled everyone along, when I tried to get slightly outside the group, above, or below, I was told to get back in the group. I believe this is because even though the resort is allegedly a PADI dive center, they have people on the dives who were only resort certified that morning, and in some cases, not certified at all, doing a 70 ft dive.

So if you decide to stay at the breezes, I Strongly recommend not diving with them at all if you value your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom